Chapter 31: Change of Scene

Keela

My hand was on the latch for my door when I heard someone yelling at me.

"There she is!"

I looked over my shoulder panicked, and then to each side, trying to find a place to escape. I ran down the hall, but someone caught me at the corner, pulling the basket from my hand while they wrapped an arm around my waist.

"Don't worry," a quiet voice said. It was the man from Phillip's cottage.

"What's going on?" he asked in a louder voice, shifting me behind his body. I reached for my basket, but he held it fast.

I heard stomping feet and peered around his shoulder. It was McKendricks.

"That girl," he accused while pointed in my direction. "She knows where Mac Aohda is! She did something to him!"

The man scoffed, "This girl? Are you insane?"

McKendricks' face got red, but then paled. I saw him take a deep calming breath before pasting a smile on his face.

"Of course, she didn't. But I do believe she knows where he is. The last time I saw him, he was at the lake. That is where you were, is it not?" He looked at me, waiting for me to answer.

The man looked down at me, raising an eyebrow. "Did you see Mac Aohda?"

I wasn't sure if I should answer, but I was a horrible liar, so I nodded.

"Was he fine the last time you saw him?" he asked.

I shuddered and he must have felt my body tremble. He was angry, hurtful, and cruel, but was he fine? Yes, I suppose he was.

I nodded.

"Then where is he?" McKendricks snapped before calming himself again. "I mean, did you see where he went?"

I shook my head emphatically.

McKendricks stepped closer. I could see the sweat beading on his forehead, and his shoulders rising and falling quickly.

"Do you not speak at all?" he asked me. "How did you come to be here?"

"She is our guest," the man said. "And you know she does not speak. I think we are done, don't you?" 

McKendricks shrugged. "If you say so," he replied noncommittally. "Where is the girl's family?"

He turned to me. "Did your family send you here?"

The man stepped in front of me. "We can talk about this later. I'm sure Phillip can explain everything." He walked me to my door, opening it and handing me my basket.

"I'll see you later," he told me.

I nodded, holding my basket with a white-knuckled grip.

"Magda brought you dinner," he said, gesturing to the table. "I'll see you tomorrow?"

I shrugged, but rather than look annoyed, he smiled. "I'm sure Phillip will be sorry he missed you."

I narrowed my eyes, but couldn't help a small smile at his obvious attempt to making me feel guilty and come to the cottage.

"Well, he will," he replied.

I nodded then. I would see him tomorrow.

He closed the door behind him and I grabbed my bed, pulling it over to the door and sitting on it. I leaned my ear against the door, listening for the footsteps leading away from my room. When I heard them disappear I sighed, exhausted. I turned onto my side and pulled my blanket over my head and without even meaning to, fell asleep.