Chapter 14: Inferno

A/N- I apologize for how long it has been between updates. Here is a quick recap that you can skip if you remember what had happened. (When we last left our heroes... Keela had learned  from an undine that Maeve was a witch intent on destroying her family. The boys had learned that Keela was to be sent away and married. Their plan to seem uncaring and uninterested in order to protect her from her father hadn't worked. They moved ahead with a plan to leave Lord Arden's keep with Keela.) As always, thank you so much for reading. Please comment and let me know what you think! ~Ripley

******

Keela

I pulled the handwoven shawl made by my long-dead mother from my bed. I threw a dress on it: stockings, underclothes, the trinkets left by the boys, they all went onto the blanket before I tied it up. I wanted to leave. Now.

But I told Athol that I would wait.

I waited all day. Davin knocked on my door to summon me to lunch, but I didn't go. She knocked again for dinner, but still I waited.

Athol said he would come to me, and he would.

I could hear voices laughing and Aodhan's music filtered up the stone steps to my room. I stood and pressed my ear to the thick wooden door, trying to make out the voices. Aodahn began to sing, and I heard his voice joined by Rab's. I opened the door hesitantly; Athol's directive ringing in my ears. The hall was empty, and I could easily sneak down the stairs to peek over the railing and see who was seated in the great hall. Maybe Athol didn't mean, wait in my room. Maybe he meant, wait until later.

I tapped my finger nervously on my lips before making my decision and tiptoeing down the hallway. My soft soled leather shoes were quiet compared to the boisterous noise coming up from the dinner.

There was a small flight of stairs that led to a balcony. Walking across the balcony led to more steps that would go directly into the great hall. I sat down on the first step and slowly lowered myself to the second, and then the third, until I could peer around the corner. I saw my father's dark head, and Lady Maeve's shining hair. She wore a russet colored dress that only seemed to make her skin richer and her eyes more vibrant. Balthair sat next to Còiseam and across the table was Ciarand and Athol, Finn, and Dand. I looked around for Iasan, but he was nowhere to be seen.

I pulled back and rubbed my forehead. Had they expected me at dinner? 
I looked again, and met Lady Maeve's eyes. I was frozen in her gaze while her face split into a huge grin. I saw her lean across my father and whisper to Balthair. His eyes met mine and then he looked away. It was the same empty, uncaring look I'd received from him every day the boys had been gone. He turned to Còiseam who stood and walked across the hall to Athol. Athol looked up at me, and left the table, coming up the stairs.

Each movement, each glance and gesture the boys made, were catalogued and broken down in my mind, as I tried to read intention and meaning. I stepped back into the shadow, waiting for Athol, hoping he could explain what was expected from me.

I heard his slow tread on the steps and clasped my hands anxiously at my waist.

When his black eyes met mine, I couldn't help smiling. "Athol," I said relieved.

"Lady Keela," he answered, bowing formally.

I curtsied automatically before stepping up a stair. Athol followed me into the darkened staircase.

"Where have you been?" I asked. "Was I supposed to come to dinner?"

"You should certainly come to dinner if you are hungry, Lady Keela, but that is up to you."