Chapter 9: Keela

Keela

I stretched my arms in the air like I could embrace the whole world and hold it to me. I smiled up at my hands and at the length of beautiful ribbon that Rab had fashioned into a ring for my finger. He had woven nine strands of silken thread together to form the ribbon. A color for each of their hearts, he had told me, and then tied it around my finger before kissing me senseless.

I pressed my fingers to my lips, but not to stop myself from speaking, to feel if they were sore from all the kissing I had done.

I had gone from humiliated and depressed to the happiest I had been since I was a girl and had the boys as playmates.

I heard a sharp rapping on the door and stood up, pulling a blanket from the top of the bed and wrapping it around my shoulders before opening the door.

It was the same harried maid from last night, "Hello Davin," I greeted.

"Your father wants to see you in his study, right away," she told me.

"I'll get dressed and be down," I answered, closing the door and quicky choosing clothes.

My father never asked for me. I worried that someone saw us last night, told him, and he was going to punish my family.

My hands shook as I pulled on my dress and tied back my hair before I ran out the door and into the study. I took a moment in front of the door, trying to collect myself before knocking lightly.

When the door was opened I was surprised to see Brother Francis waiting, as well as Lady Maeve, Bhaltair, and Còiseam.

"Keela," my father greeted me coldly as I curtsied politely, "Lady Maeve and I have just been married and we have been discussing what to do with you."