Chapter 19: Companion

Keela

I woke on my much more comfortable bed. Someone, probably Finn, had brought me blankets and had made me a mattress of sorts. My body didn't ache, and the salve that Iasan had applied to my hands had reduced the swelling enough that my fingers looked less like a stranger's and more like my own.

I rubbed my eyes and stared at the ever growing pile of thread. It looked like a lot, but I knew from experience that I didn't have enough. The sound of twigs snapping, had me pulling back into the darkest corner of the cave and holding my breath. I heard snuffling, and then a black nose poked around the door that Ciaran had fashioned. It pushed at the door, trying to nudge it aside, and when that didn't work, two yellow paws began digging underneath it.

I crept closer, and the nose appeared underneath the door, sniffing excitedly, but not barking. I peeked between the branches, and saw a yellow dog, mouth opened in a doggy smile. I smiled in response and pushed the door aside. The dog leapt, lapping my face and jumping up to rest his paws on my shoulders. I fell backward and he made himself comfortable on my chest, licking my cheeks and chin while I tried halfheartedly to push him away.

He finally stopped, panting, and watched me. I sat up, and he moved to sit next to me, before standing, sniffing every corner of the cave, and sitting back down as if to ask, "What's next?"

I smiled at him, feeling less lonely for the first time, and patted his head. His eyes closed and he turned his head, groaning in delight as I found a spot that seemed to feel especially good. I crawled out of the cave, grabbing some fruit as I went by, and a piece of bread... I sighed, I didn't have bread. In addition to pilfering someone's clothes, Finn had also stolen their bread. I didn't even feel bad about it, just grateful for the change in my diet. The dog following me, watching me with sad eyes as I took a bite of the fruit. I broke off a hunk of bread and tossed it to him, and he caught it, gobbling it down in a moment.

I started a new routine with the dog, who I decided to name Maximus, after an Emperor in one of Brother Francis's stories. He was good company. He bounded around happily, chasing dandelion fluff, investigating boulders, checking in with me, and then escaping into the forest again.

He found me at the cave as I was spinning, and watched me with his head cocked to the side as I gasped in pain, plunging my hands into the river, dragging them out again, and then started all over again.

He trotted into the forest and a little while later, dropped a rabbit at my feet. He looked at me and looked at the rabbit expectantly.

Good boy, I thought.

He panted and gave me a lick before settling down at my feet, waiting for me to finish so I could cook the rabbit. I coiled the thread into a ball and placed it in the basket in the corner of my cave before lining the fire pit with peat and readying it to light. Maximus growled low in his throat, quietly, but threateningly. I squinted into the forest. The sun was still high, but I couldn't see or hear anyone. The ruff on Maximus's neck rose, the fur standing on end as he curled his lip.

I snapped my fingers and pointed to the cave. He gave me a sidelong glance and began backing up hesitantly, growling all the while. As he passed me I heard the sound of feet crashing through the forest. I looked around my site quickly for any sign that would give me away, and then I ran into the cave, pulling down the blind that Ciaran had made and then laying branches behind it. I crawled into the darkest corner, tucking my precious thread behind me around an outcropping that would hide it. I pulled Maximus in next to me, wrapping my arms around his neck and burying my face into his side as the sound of people got closer and closer.

"The Lady said to follow the stream."

"There's no one here." 

"You saw the traps, someone's out here."

I tried to ignore their voices, focusing only on sound of Maximus's heartbeat. The footsteps angled away from the cave and I let out my breath. Maximus shifted, laying down at my feet and resting his head on his paws.

Good boy, I thought. He lifted his head and looked once at me, panting happily, and then laid his head back on his paws.

I tried to find a comfortable position, and with Maximus near me, I didn't feel so alone. His body rested against mine. I shifted again and curled onto my side, curling opposite the dog, his back at my back. I could feel his ribs expanding with each breath and it soothed me, lulling me to sleep.