Chapter 4: Dand and Athol

Dand's Point of View

Enough.

"Any man would be lucky to have a lady like Keela as their wife," I stated, ignoring the look from Bhaltair and the kick from Coiseam.

They had no say over what I did now.

I had seen enough. My girl was cowed and humiliated. I didn't care to be part of a family that allowed one of their own to be treated like that. I would marry her, take her away from here. I refused to let her hurt for one more moment.

I stood up.

"Keela," I said, addressing her for the first time and holding out my hand, "would you please show me around the keep? Now."

Her eyes fell on mine, and I saw in them surprise and hope, and both hurt me to the core. She hadn't expected my kindness.

Damn Bhaltair and his ideas.

Don't let Lord Arden know we favor her.

We keep her safe by keeping our distance.

Three years he had to keep her distant and look at her! This was not the girl I left. I would hold her to me and explain everything.

I saw Lady Maeve eyeing me with interest but I turned my focus back to Keela, who was standing. I pushed in my chair, bowed to Lord Arden who, rather than insulted, seemed amused.

"Don't take anything you won't buy," he told me, and I felt my body flush with heat while the men around us laughed.

I ignored him and walked to Keela, bowing again and holding out an arm for her to take. She reached for me with a shaking hand, before linking her arm with mine. Her small frame trembled against mine and we left the hall.

Athol's Point of View

Did he just...?

With my...?

I made a move to stand and Cianran reached for me, grabbing my thigh under the table and squeezing it in warning.

We had all done what Bhaltair asked, what Coiseam had explained was necessary and expected, and that... incredibly smart man just saved my angel. He did what I should have done, what we all should have done the moment we saw her standing quietly behind her father and Bhaltair.

How much longer did I need to sit here?

"Athol!" Lord Arden called to me, "I have a request from Lady Maeve for a demonstration of your strength!"

I nodded my assent, rising. Ciaran rose with me, waiting while one of the servants ran to the armory for swords and shields. I would have to hold back tonight. My anger was too close to the surface and I was strong enough to injure Ciaran, who would be my sparring partner.

The servant passed me bracers and I affixed them to my wrists before reaching for the sword and testing its balance. Ciaran had secured his braces and was waiting for me. I nodded, letting him know to start, and we began to practice. I lunged, braced, parried, and thrusted while Ciaran returned each move. We had practiced together for three years, and before that, with wooden swords. I could tell by the placement of his foot or the shift of his hips in which direction he was moving.

But I was distracted and I could see Ciaran was too by the way his eyes flicked toward the door frequently.

I needed a quick way to escape, and taking a deep breath in anticipation, let Ciaran's sword pass over my arm, slicing the skin.

He drew back immediately and dropped his sword.

I heard a chair push back and then Iasan's blue eyes were twinkling at me wickedly, "I need to stop the bleeding and clean the wound. Ciaran, accompany us will you?"

Cianran nodded, and we left the hall to whispers and looks of disappointment. I caught an angry look from Bhaltair while my brothers eyed me jealously. They knew what I was doing.

"Smart work there," Iasan said, clapping me on the shoulder, "let me wrap this first and then we'll find Keela and Dand."