Chapter 29: Missed

Keela

My head pounded. Things felt heavy and fuzzy. I could hear my name being called, and it confused me because no one in this house knew my name. I turned over, drawing my hands up to my face, but I stopped when I felt grass under my fingertips. My eyes opened, and I squinted. Had I fallen asleep outside?

The memory of what happened came rushing back to me, and I sat up quickly.

"Careful, Keela."

I turned quickly toward the voice and met Philip's concerned eyes. He must have seen the confusion in my face. "One of your friends told me you were hurt." He waved his hand, and I followed the gesture. 

My swans were floating on the lake.

I buried my face in my hands, remembering the man, Mac Aodha, trying to pull me into the forest. I remembered his bruising grip and his slimy palms.

Then I remembered Aohdan. I remembered struggling toward him.

I stood up quickly, shielding my eyes with my hand and counting the swans. Nine. I swayed, and Phillip gripped my elbow to steady me. I was overwhelmed, and my head felt two sizes bigger than it should be.

"Keela," Phillip said gently. "Please, sit down." 

 I started to obey him and then stopped. How did he know my name?

He seemed to understand the look on my face. "Please," he said again, "sit."

I did, but then jumped up again. My movement scared the swans, and they flapped their wings nervously. I looked around for my basket, tripping down to the shore with Phillip close behind me. I saw it in the grass. The skeins were still inside, and the loom was placed on the top. I lifted it and saw the sleeve gently folded and tucked next to the skeins.My relief was overwhelming, and my knees folded underneath me.

"Keela," Phillip sighed. "Please sit still for a moment while I examine you."

My hand came up to rub my forehead, but I turned my head toward his. His hand lifted to touch my face, and I recoiled without meaning to.

He paused. "I would like to look at your eyes, please," he explained. "It will show me how severely you were injured." He waited until I nodded, and then he turned my face from side to side. He brought his hand to my forehead, blocking the sun and then allowing it to shine brightly into my face.

His fingers traveled from my chin to the back of my head and along my neck. I winced when he pressed against a sore spot.

"You'll have quite the egg," he said, moving around me and separating the strands of hair to examine the bruise, "and probably a headache." 

He removed his hands, rubbing his hand along his jaw before turning serious eyes to mine. "Where you hurt anywhere else?" 

 My hands moved to my upper arms, and I closed my eyes, taking stock of my injuries. My hands hurt, my arms hurt, my head hurt. I looked down at my feet. Phillip shifted his position, moving closer to my feet. He lifted up my foot and examined it. "Just some small cuts." He waited for me to shift my weight and lift my other foot. He sucked in a breath as he looked at my heel. "It's just a sliver, but the littlest things can sometimes hurt the most."

I looked around, wondering where I'd lost my shoes. I rested back on my hands and winced as Phillip dug around at my heel before triumphantly showing me the sliver.

"I need to get back," he said, "I have students that I've put off."

I felt my cheeks blush.

"It's fine," he said, noting my embarrassment. "I have a better understanding now, of what all this—" he gestured to my basket and hands, "— is all about. Now..." he brushed his hands on his trousers, "...I'll walk with you."