Chapter 32: Full Moon

(A/N: This chapter is mature. If that sort of thing is not for you- I've added *** before and after. Thanks for reading!! Let me know what you think!~ Ripley)

Keela

After three days in Phillip's cottage, I was beside myself with worry about my swans. I needed to go back to the lake, to see for myself that they were alive. I worried that McKendricks had found them, and just to be cruel, had hurt them. I worried that they'd flown away, to someplace I'd never be able to find them. The moon was waxing large, and Phillip had mentioned off-handedly the previous evening that he expected tonight to have a full moon.

I'd completed the second shirt's tunic, and had only the sleeves to finish. I had made it larger and held it up to Aghaidh, who I thought was as large as Finn.

"It looks good, Keela," he joked, "but I'm not wearing anything made of distaff thistle. How about I bring you some soft wool?" 

I rolled my eyes at him. It felt nice to have someone who would tease and laugh at me, instead of looking at me as if I was crazy, or worse, like I was disgusting. Things were simple with Phillip and Aghaidh. They were often in the cottage during the day, giving lessons to students. I listened to them while I worked. It was fascinating and I wondered if Iasan had learned from someone like Phillip. The way that Phillip asked questions of the students, and good-naturedly ribbed them when they answered incorrectly, reminded me of Iasan, and the way that Iasan would lead me to discoveries. I remembered that even when he'd had only a short time to show me how to use and make the salve for my hands, he'd explained the purpose of each plant and how they complimented each other to create the healing properties he wanted. He did it without thinking; he was a healer but he was also a teacher.

When the students were dismissed for their midday meal, I stood and stretched as well. I pointed to the door, letting Aghaidh and Phillip know I needed to cool my hands at the well.

"I'll come with you," Aghaidh said. "I need to walk a little." 
I placed the shirt carefully in the basket, folding it neatly before following him out the door and to the well. Aghaidh filled a bucket and waited for me while I held my swollen hands under the surface.

"Better?" he asked.

I pulled my hands out and wiped them on my skirt, nodding. He held out his hand and I placed mine in it. He turned it in the sunlight, searching for barbs that needed to be removed. He found one and tried to remove it, but it was too small for his fingers to grasp.

"Do you mind?" he asked, and brought my hand to his mouth before I could nod. He caught the barb with his teeth, pulling it from my skin and then spitting it to the side. He held my hand up again, and then, surprising me, kissed it.

I drew my hand away from his, feeling my cheeks blush and a unpleasant nervousness churn in my stomach.

"I'm sorry," Aghaidh said, seeing my distress. "I shouldn't have done that. It's habit."

I found myself raising an eyebrow as I considered what he said. It was a habit of his to go around kissing girl's hands?

He must have realized what he said because he laughed nervously, running his hand down the back of his hair and shaking his head. "Um," he began. "I meant—" 

I shook my head, biting my lip to stop from smiling. His awkwardness alleviated my nervousness and I turned without looking, crashing into a body.

I felt Aghaidh's hands on my shoulders as he pulled me backward. My eyes traveled upward to meet McKendricks' glare.

"Watch where you are walking," he spat out.

I ducked my head in apology, following Aghaidh who was trying to lead me back to the cottage. McKendricks' hand snaked out quickly, and he caught my hand, squeezing it.