Chapter 22

Natsu's P.O.V.
Kouki (L/N).
I stared at (Y/N)'s trembling, pitiful form.
I searched for words, but nothing came out. I drew in a deep breath.
"...I-"
"Go away," she said, her voice cracking. She shifted awkwardly until she was hugging her knees to her chest, still not facing me.
"No."
"Go away!" She repeated, more loudly this time.
"I'm not going to," I said softly. "I've been ignoring you all this time, but that's going to change."
She stayed silent. White flurries of snow slowly drifted to the ground, snowflakes caught by her (h/c) locks.
"Who was it?"
"...My mother."
I was shocked. I never knew. But, did I really even know anything about her past?
No.
Haru's words echoed in my mind. "Well, neither of us have... Your average background, per say... that girl's background is a tragedy, and she acts stupid like that for a reason."
I walked over and plopped myself down beside her, disregarding the snow that seeped through my clothes.
Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her furiously wipe her eyes with her sleeve. I gently placed my hand on her shoulder. "I'm sorry..."
She shook her head. "Iie...I can't even remember her." She let out a low chuckle that sounded more like a croak. "It's nothing to cry about." Her voice wavered at that last part.
I cupped her chin in my hand, tilting her face to me, forcing her to look up at me. Those large eyes that I loved widened as they met my own - wait, did I just say love?
"It's pretty cruel of you, you know? You can talk to me. You don't have to put on an act in front of me; I'm your best friend."
Her lower lip quivered. I slipped my arms around her, pulling her into an awkward embrace. She buried her face in my chest. "Just let it all out," I said softly, stroking her hair.
It hurt to see her like that. And I regretted not being there for her sooner, for not noticing.
And it also sort of hurt when I said I was her best friend, because I was sure that was all I'd ever be to her. And looking back, I think I already knew then that I wanted us to be more than friends. I just didn't want to admit it to myself.

Your P.O.V.
After I had recovered, Natsu and I parted ways, but not before Natsu asked me several times if I was okay. I thought it was really sweet of him. No one had really cared before.
I couldn't help but smile to myself, a spring in my step as I walked.
I knew I was supposed to look for the girl, but...there was one other place I wanted to see first. I couldn't help it - the last time I was here was when I was eight, and I'm eighteen now, so go figure.
I stopped outside the familiar beige house, two stories high. It had been banged up quite a bit, like most of the other buildings here. My mother's garden that she loved so much was gone.
I turned the knob on the front door and, it wasn't locked. The front door creaked open, and the feeling inside was an eerie one.
I looked around the kitchen. My mother's body was gone, but I could still see some blood. How generous of my old neighbors or whoever the hell, to have cleaned the floor so nicely (please note the sarcasm).
I made my way up the stairs, the dusty wood groaning under my weight. Maybe I should lay off the ice cream... Psh, like that's gonna happen.
I walked down the hall to Kouki's room. Ceramics scattered the floor in pieces, the nightstand was on its side... I was careful where I stepped. I tried to stand her nightstand right side up, but that thing was heavy. My fingers slipped, and it fell back down. On the tip of one of my fingers.
"Fuck," I hissed, cradling my poor pinky. If anyone had been watching me, I'm sure I would have looked like an idiot to them. Then again, I was. That's why I tried again.
Fortunately, I managed to stand it upright without injuring anything else. I made to open the first drawer, ignoring my still-in-pain pinky.
I hesitated, my fingers hovering over the handle. It felt wrong to go through my mother's belongings. But I wanted to try to remember...
I opened it. There were some books. Paper backs and a few hardcovers, and underneath were some folders.
I checked the other drawers. One was full of scarves and shirts, and the other had some accounting files from her job. I looked through each of them again. I don't know what I was expecting to find, but I checked anyway. I looked through her books, curious. It was amazing how she could go from the Harry Potter series to something like Moby Dick of all things. I flipped through The Chamber of Secrets mindlessly. I could just barely remember that my mother loved reading. But she never got to read anything I wrote.
Something fell out of one of the pages. I furrowed my brow and picked it up.
Smiling back at me was my mother, with Gaia. He had his arms around her and he looked so happy. For the first time, I saw a genuine smile upon his lips, and there was something else. His eyes weren't red. I couldn't really tell his eye color from the photo, but they were different, no doubt about that. There was no malice in them. The fact that he looked so kind here puzzled me.
But he wasn't kind; people can't possibly change that much. How my mother could have possibly fallen for him was a mystery to me. He betrayed her.
I tucked the photo into my bag, unsure why I kept it, really. Maybe it was so that this time, I could remember my mother's face. We looked alike, with the same (e/c) eyes. But the shape of mine resembled Gaia's, and I hated it.
I snapped myself from my thoughts and went back to looking through the drawers. I felt something hard underneath the scarves. I pushed them aside and saw a white jewelry box. I traced my fingers over the engravings. Butterflies and lilies. I opened it and saw all necklaces, bracelets, etc. But I didn't take any. They were hers. There was this one ring that stood out to me, though. It was simple, different from the others. It was silver, and as my finger slid over it, I felt engravings. I took it out and held it up close to my face. The second name I saw confused me. It was one I didn't recognize.
Kouki & Blake
Who was Blake?

I ended up taking the ring, slipping it on my right pointer finger. But that was it. It felt wrong for me to go through or take anything else.
I took a deep breath and stood up.
Bang.
I jumped about a foot in the air, letting out a small scream. The fuck was that?!
Bang! The lights flickered on and off.
I looked wildly around the room, my heart racing.
There was no way in hell I was staying here. So I ran. Down the stairs, and then I tripped and fell.
The lights went out. As I started to get up, through my hair I saw it, my heartbeat almost halting to a stop. A twisted, demented face staring at me through the bathroom window, pressed right up to the glass. It had horrible, blazing orange eyes, and there were wires in its mouth. I had no idea what it was, just that it wasn't human. As our eyes made contact, its mouth contorted into a smile.
Some part of me felt recognition toward it, but... I just wanted to get out, not figure out what it was.
As soon as I scrambled to my feet, I started running to the door again. When I opened it, I was knocked down and dragged away.

Natsu's P.O.V.
All I could think about was (Y/N) as I walked. The saddened look in her eyes, that bright smile that seemed almost permanent was gone.
But, I had finally - 'who's that?'
I squinted at the silhouette, about a block away, to the right of me. I walked closer, and saw through darkness a girl with white hair and a frilly black and white dress, with a bit of pink. I couldn't see her face under the brim of her hat, which was tilted down. But judging from her hair and small figure, I had a pretty good idea who it was.
The girl we were looking for. Well, that was easy.
"Hey...!" I called out.
The little girl giggled, and gestured for me to come closer.
I stopped in front of her, bending down. "What's your name?"
"Natsu!" I turned around. Erza and Gray were running towards me. For some reason, they looked panicked. "Get away from her!"
I furrowed my brow in confusion, feeling uneasy. "Why?"
"Onii-chan..." came out a cute, high-pitched voice.
I looked back down at the girl.
Our eyes met, and unsettling, glowing gold orbs bore into me, my own onyx ones widening.
Her lips curled into a smile as blood dripped from her mouth and onto her dress, smears of red on white giving it that 'pink' look. "Does it matter?"
And then she lunged at me.

~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: Sorry for the short chapter, it's just been a while since I last updated, so I decided to at least give you guys something. It's been ages since I last watched Fairy Tail, I should really start watching it again to get some more inspiration.... It's honestly been a while since I've watched any anime, like almost a month. I got sucked into Kpop. *sighs* Is there anyone here looking forward to BTS' comeback album? Anyone? ....Okay. Anyway, I don't really have anything to tell you guys, sooo... Just the usual stuff: vote for this story if you like it, comment, add it to your reading list, library, all that good stuff.
Bye... *saddened bc school*

PS: I just remembered this, but... I did not name Gaia after the earth goddess thingy lol (sorry, I don't know my geek mythology - I forgot whatever I learned). I was thinking of the main boss from Sonic Unleashed.