Chapter 10 -- Ebb Tide

Stephen handed Danika some 8x10 photographs. They showed the Luna ceremony from the perspective of one of the participants. Danika was clearly visible glowing in both her human and wolf forms.

Stephen drew in a big breath, then released it slowly looking at Danika and trying to contain his anger. "I received these photos early this morning with this note. They were tacked on a post at the end of the road leading up here." Stephen handed her a folded piece of paper. "We will be expecting a visitor around 9am."

The short printed note explained how they had been careless, but there was now interest the Pine Ridge Pack's 'new Luna'. The mysterious man would arrive in about a half-hour, and was signed 'Colton Reynolds'.

Stephen watched Danika as she crinkled her eyebrows in confusion.

"I don't understand, Stephen," was all she said as she handed the photos and note back.

"I've been negligent with your safety, love, and now we will both pay the price. I believed that our facilities were fully secure and secret, and had no idea anyone in our pack would reveal our operations. And now my mistakes have put you in danger." Stephen looked down at the photos again and growled in anger, his eyes becoming black.

Danika put her hand on his arm and started making small soothing circles with her hand. Stephen looked up at her and gave her a one-sided smile. "Stephen, there's absolutely no way you could have prevented this.

Stephen studied her for a few seconds. "God I love you," he said quietly as his eyes returned to normal. "I'll never let anything happen to you."

"I know. What have you already planned?" Danika asked, knowing that he already had one.

"Tyler is arranging for a special welcome for our 'guest'. Warriors will be staged all along the road leading into the compound, and all along the house and surrounding area. Your 'Guard' will be around you at all times, they have normally been hidden from you, but will be quite visible to keep you safe. This compound looks open, but actually is quite secure- we have no need for fences. Snipers have special blinds in the trees and are constantly manned, we have infra-red and normal monitoring cameras covering all angles. Patrols have been doubled and families are being moved to our Safe Building for their protection- which is really a fully stocked underground warehouse.

"I don't know who this man is, I assume he's a wolf from the phrasing in his note, but am unsure. Only three of his people will be allowed in the house for our negotiations."

"Negotiations? I thought this was a meeting?" Danika said, clearly out of her depth.

Stephen chuckled humorlessly. "Oh, this will be a negotiation of some sort. Why else would he show his hand? He wants something, and you are at the top of his list. Or at least your powers."

"But Stephen, I don't know what happened that night, I thought it was because of the ceremony and the mixing of our blood somehow? I haven't changed and have no idea what happened."

Sighing in frustration Stephen ran a hand through his hair. "Remember when you spoke to the pack about 'dark forces' coming? And then you told me about traitors being in the remote stations? You somehow knew something that was going to happen in the future that affects the largest pack in the world. After our day in the small cabin, I've had people do some research and there have been a few instances of this happening over the centuries."

"We are going to be attacked, love, and because of you we are now preparing. We have laid traps to catch the spies, and we're monitoring and reviewing all pack communications. It's only a matter of time before we find out who they are. And since you announced this to the entire pack, they have been warned as well. But the information we've leaked to the outposts is too tempting to pass up. We have to just wait now, and continue with our preparations."