Chapter 37 -- A Little Peace

So it seems I was the World Luna as everyone started calling me. Life was so bizarre I still didn't know what to feel or think. I had no way to absorb this new information, and when people crowded to touch me I just wanted to run away. In the end I just stayed in the pack house. I had talked to Stephen about what everyone had experienced, and it was like he already said- they all experienced what I experienced. They all had heard my thoughts, felt my feelings, saw what I saw. The wolves of the world had been more connected to me than their own packs, and I thank god we were no longer linked.

The wolves craved this type of connection apparently, and wanted more of it. Well I couldn't and wouldn't do it. I was my pack's Luna and that was more than enough, more than I felt possible. I found myself retreating into myself, I wanted to stay away from the ten-thousand wolves camped on my doorstep. They needed to leave. Stephen scheduled a Beta meeting for this afternoon and I would join them to try to solve this problem. Before the meeting I found myself looking out the attic window, my face pressed against the cool smoothness. I smelled Stephen before I heard him walk up behind me. He put his arms around me and tucked my head under his chin. He loved that, and so did I.

"We need to go to the meeting Danika," Stephen said above my head. "I'm also worried about you," he added.

I didn't know how to respond, I was worried about myself. The whole thing was overwhelming and I hadn't been prepared for the shock. We had both watched the recordings of when I activated the devices... or beacons... or whatever they were. We even watched the 'Tall Man' who walked out of the room with me following. Stephen didn't like the fact that I was trying to protect him, them, everyone by following. I chose to walk out the door and I'd make the same decision again. Time started again after I left the room and shut the door. The video showed Stephen freaking out and trying to figure out what the hell just happened, he knew I was touching the shielding device and no one could figure out why it stopped time.

The recordings showed me how Stephen tried over and over to open the door but it was locked, he put all his strength into opening the door but it remained locked. Elise then calmed him down when she noticed I was trying to reach out to the pack, reach out to everyone and made Stephen focus on that. Focus on trying to help me. I saw their faces as they all watched what I watched, felt what I felt. I saw Elise and Mave start to softly cry when the Tall Man walked toward me at the end, they talked softly among themselves how this just couldn't be the end. And I saw their stunned faces when the Moon Goddess defended me, and the smiles when I beheld her.

After I touched the paw of the Moon Goddess the door became unlocked, the sounds of the locks disengaging was clear in the video. Stephen ran to the door and wrenched it open, the other room was still black. He ran in but stopped since it was pitch black, and Timothy ran behind me with a powerful flashlight. After a few minutes they saw me and Stephen ran in to pick me up, and returned quickly with my unconscious body. I was smoking, bleeding, and looked to be in bad shape- but I was breathing. The door slammed on its own behind him, and when he opened it again the next room was back to normal and opened to the lab.

Stephen bolted with me out the door on the way to the infirmary. That's about all the video showed, but I was curious if there were any readings on the next room, I'd have to ask Timothy. I also had a fleeting thought that maybe the 'beacon' was activated because Gavon was touching me when I touched the machine. We had both never touched it together, we should have thought of that experiment.