Chapter 20 -- Remembering the Light

I stayed in the hospital for a day, then I wanted to go home. I was falling in love with my son, and Stephen was there every step of the way. The hospital bed was barely big enough for both of us, and we mostly just watched our pup. Family came in and out, my mother kept cooing at Matt as we started calling him. He was a cute pup, and mercifully didn't cry too much. I had heard stories of colicky babies and was grateful that Matt seemed healthy. Stephen's mother, Tamara, was a big surprise- she was there whenever I needed her, but wasn't pushy about it.

When I was able to go home I was grateful for Tamara's help. I wanted to sleep a lot, which is normal, and my mother-in-law was always there ready to help watch Matt. I wondered if it was weird to call her grandson Matt when she was married to a Matthew, but she smiled and said it was fine. She liked the name. The first few days were exhausting, but happy- and I was kept very busy. I wasn't too sore since weres healed quickly, and Stephen enjoyed walking around the village with the both of us. I knew he'd have to get back to pack business pretty soon, so I soaked up the time I could spend with him.

I was brought back to reality when Elise gave me a message that Tina, Neil's mate wanted to talk to me. I had talked to Elise about setting something up next week with her, and was surprised to see her so soon. Elise brought her to my room where I was changing Matt's outfit- again- and Tina took a seat in a comfortable chair nearby.

"Luna," Tina said and bowed her head.

"Please call me Danika," I said although no one ever did.

"Oh, no Luna, I just couldn't," Tina said horrified. They all said that.

I nodded and said as I buttoned up Matt's onesie top, "Tina, I'm glad you stopped by. I'm assuming it's something about Neil?"

"Yes Luna," Tina said and looked down at Matt who was waving his hand in the air and watching it. "Neil is... distraught Luna. Something is wrong, he just sits in his chair and looks out the window."

I stood up frowning when she said that, and picked up Matt as he gurgled and chewed on his fist. "How long has Neil been doing this?"

Tina thought for a moment and replied, "Since the last time he saw you and you sent out the distress signal."

I guess I did send out a distress signal, although I didn't think of it like that. I'm glad that's all it was.

"Neil doesn't talk about his work, Luna, but I know it has something to do with you and why you need to work with him. I know what he does, and he's always been happy to help people. But something happened, Luna, didn't it?"

Tina then looked down at her hands, not wanting to be disrespectful. I put Matthew in his crib and cranked up his mobile and let it spin slowly over his head playing the silly nursery song. I also put a soft rattle in his hand, he often whacked himself in the head, but I thought it helped build up his coordination. Or I hoped it would someday.

"Tina, look at me," and Tina looked up confused.

"Your mate has helped me a great deal, and put himself and your family in danger to do it. He is a brave warrior, and I will do what I can to help." Tina nodded her head. "And I need you to tell me what he's doing, what he's saying, anything that is connected to him. Do you understand? It's important." I had a bad feeling about this.

"Luna, all he does is sit in his chair and look out the window. He sometimes mumbles something, but I can't make it out. I'm worried about him."

I sat down in a chair and drank some water, "Can I get you anything to drink? I always seem to be thirsty." I needed a moment to think.