Chapter 35 - Darkness & The Goddess

I looked at Timothy's shielding device sitting on a lab table

I looked at Timothy's shielding device sitting on a lab table. He and his team had fixed Zeke's second freezing device, and copied the designs and materials to create another one. The new freezing device wasn't as powerful, but it did work in a fifteen foot circumference. The purpose of making a new freezing device was to create a shield from it, Stephen felt there were more devices somewhere waiting to be used. We all were standing around one of Timothy's large tech tables in a restricted section of the lab, Stephen was by my side, Elise and Gavon were next to me, and Mave was standing by Timothy.

All that was left was for me to activate it. Timothy took the freezing machine and put it on a far table, he put a goldfish bowl next to it so we could see if the fish were frozen. I walked up to the device and touched it, it immediately began humming quietly and I felt this electric crackle spread outward from it. The fish were frozen but I was unaffected. I looked to the others who remained still but unfrozen, only Timothy was nodding his head.

"Perfect," was all he said and Mave slipped her hand into one of his. He looked at her and smiled, he didn't look crazy or obsessed anymore. Timothy picked up Mave's hand and kissed it, then released her hand and picked up the other device-the shielding device. He walked over to me and I touched it, and it made a soft humming sound also. Timothy then walked toward the freezing device and went toward the goldfish. He remained moving, and stood next to the goldfish who started to lazily swim around again. He moved away from the goldfish and they froze up again.

Timothy walked back and turned off the shielding device, opened a side and made a few more adjustments. He held it out to me to start again, and walked back to the goldfish. He did this several times trying to extend the shielding field, and when he was satisfied he turned it off and walked back to us.

"We now have a working prototype," he said with a twinkle in his eye and pride in his voice. I had been involved in the research, I was the one to start the machines after a lot of trial and error. I then walked to the freezing device and turned it off, the goldfish started swimming undisturbed. I remembered the endless testing done by lab techs to determine the exact compounds used to lay down the circuits on the boards, and the special transistors and electronics that were used. Timothy's team was unable to decipher the works and symbols of the ancient text, but they could copy the freezing device's plan with the aid of my earlier visions.

Then Timothy was able to change the direction of the energy flow, which negated or nullified the freezing machine. He had created a working shield. We had been practicing with Gavon to see if he could start the machines, but he was unable to do it. The devices would shiver a little at his touch but that was all.

I pulled out a chair and sat down while Stephen and Timothy started making plans for it, and for others to be produced. Gavon sat down beside me and put his hand on my shoulder.

"Well, Danika, I can't believe what you've done. I can't believe this device was created, it seems so... foreign somehow. Almost unnatural in some ways."