Chapter 22 -- Gravity Control Propulsion Research Really Is Rocket Science

Stephen and the Betas created the plans for the 'Meriwether op'. They had to move fast according to my dream. Arrangements had been made with Alpha Fabron , but he insisted on being involved in the op. I was trying to encourage Stephen to go on the op with his father, admittedly mainly for selfish reasons so I could spend a few precious hours alone in the woods- but he wouldn't even discuss it. He refused to leave me alone, and I knew he was right. Zeke was going to try to get to me again, it was just a matter of time.

Our conversation with Timothy, who led the R&D group for the pack, was enlightening. He was a true technology geek and lived for creating gadgets. I wanted to see where Timothy worked, so Stephen and I arranged to meet him in the 'lab'. It was mainly what you'd expect, there were several younger men and women working on various projects with parts all over various sized tables. Computers were everywhere, and there was a large door in the back with a warning on it. That room contained the packs defenses, the shielding technology and computer servers, and massive communications systems- allowing us to remain undetected. It was power intensive, so we also had to remain 'off the grid', and we were able to create a mini-power station using thermal heat from some hot springs located directly under the Command Center. Solar power in the Northwest really wasn't a reliable option in the winter with all the clouds.

I was impressed. It appeared chaotic, but I could see order underneath.

A warrior walked up to us and bowed his head, "Alpha Stephen," the man said then looked directly at me, "and Luna welcome to the Pine Ridge Pack Tech Lab." The man smiled obviously proud "Let me take you on a quick tour."

Smiling back I nodded 'yes' and said, "I'd like that." And Timothy mainly talked to me since Stephen already knew everything. We were in the 'open' lab where new ideas were 'kicked around'. We then went through a door to the side where there were projects in a more 'polished' state, where small machines were being assembled and tested. A few looked like small phones, but connected by wires to larger boxes. Timothy said something about 'stealth technology'.

Timothy walked up to one station and started talking with enthusiasm, "This is where we are developing better armor using 3D printing and new composite materials, mainly focused on various carbon fiber combinations. Each warrior can get their armor fitted to their own body, and it's getting cheaper to print." He tapped on a chest plate, "We're experimenting with carbon nanotube composite materials technology to give the armor spider silk strength to withstand explosives."

He then walked to another station and patted the researcher sitting there on the shoulder. "This is Patrick, and he's our lead tech developing ultra-sensitive communications using smaller wavelength frequencies, piggy-backing on commercial satellite feeds. Part of the answer is finding a new material for the receivers, we have a new transmitter to send out carrier messages that is undetectable by any current government agency."

I heard a soft 'mew' and looked around for it. Cat? I asked in my head, that's one brave cat to be in a pack of werewolves. Timothy looked in the direction of my gaze and chuckled.

"Yes, that's Charmer, she was wounded when we found her and somehow she made her way to this warm lab. It's her home now, and we all take care of her."

Timothy pointed to another station and continued with his explanations. "This station is researching new weapons technologies using focused light, but in a different way than lasers. We've been able to create a concentrated 'pulsed weaving' of photons for surface penetration, but it's not consistent yet. It tends to blow up." I couldn't help but smirk a little bit, your weapon shouldn't kill you when you used it.

"And this one here," Timothy said pointing to another station, "is where we are developing stealth technologies to bend light for transportation and personnel shielding, and right next to it," Timothy said and motioned us over, "is my personal favorite where we're experimenting with the latest ideas on anti-gravity propulsion systems. This particular one is low priority since we can't really get anything to hover very much, but I think it's possible with new materials and membranes being created every day."