Chapter 34 - Zeke's Execution

The elders and Stephen sat at the table , and Matt and I stood behind them silently like the last executions. As Luna I was expected to witness all executions, and even though I felt nauseas I fulfilled my duty. Zeke had been brought out blindfolded with a gag in his mouth, and he was chained to the ground on his knees. Stephen read his sentence of death and put the paper down in front of him. I wondered where the executioner warrior was but remained still.

Stephen stood up and walked to Zeke. Oh no, I thought to myself as I wanted to walk to him to stop him. Stephen was going to be the one to kill him, why didn't he tell me? We just didn't discuss the specifics of the execution, Stephen told me when it was and I met him here- it didn't occur to me to ask about the details. We were in the same deathly still field behind the jail, and all noises were dampened and no animals moved.

"Traitor, this death is too merciful for your crimes." Stephen stood in front of Zeke so the prisoner would not be able to see me, and I would be blocked from seeing the killing also.

Stephen reached down and made a faint noise and we all heard his quiet whisper, "But know this, Traitor, your last vision will be the very Messenger of Death himself." And with a quick movement Stephen twisted and broke Zeke's neck and the man slumped to the ground, the blindfold down around his neck and his now blank eyes staring up at Stephen in what appeared to be horror.

Stephen turned away and walked toward me, his breathing was normal but his eyes were slightly blackened. I know Stephen wanted to tear the bastard apart, and truly thought the quick death was too merciful. But Pack Law was still the law, and Stephen refused to be above his own laws. I met him and reached for his hand. We both walked back to the pack house along a path that went behind all the buildings in the village. When we left the execution field I immediately heard the birds singing and felt a slight breeze on my face. I looked up to see some clouds drift high above the trees.

************

Later after dinner I was restless. I couldn't stay still or concentrate, for some reason the outdoors was calling me- not for a run but to just walk in the woods and look at the moon. I needed the moon tonight. Stephen was working in his office, there was some sort of conference call that needed his attention. And Matt was playing on the floor next to me with all his toys, right now he especially enjoyed chewing on a soft wolf doll and drooling all over.

"Matt, how 'bout we take a little walk outside?" I asked my pup smiling down at him. He glanced at me then went back to chewing on his toy with gusto. I reached down to pick him up and he raised his hands like always, I put a sweater on him, and held him on my hip. I walked downstairs and could hear people in the kitchen, the game room, the tv room, and various places in the pack house. There were a lot of people here, and I knew the scent of every one of them, I knew their faces, I knew their current relationship status, their issues, and so much about them. I realized I had created a social network that funneled information to me so I could keep tabs on them, and I remembered all of it.

I was their Luna, and I did this for them to try to keep them healthy and balanced. We were connected and I cared. They were all my family.

I carried Matt as I walked slowly down the path that led to the lake, I didn't particularly want to walk all the way there, but I wanted to walk under the trees so I could see the moon through the branches.

"Matt," I said looking down at him while he just looked back up to me with those familiar grey eyes. "there's something I need to know tonight only I don't know what it is. Your mommy's a little nutty but you already know that." I kissed his forehead and kept walking. I got to a small meadow and stepped out into it. The grasses seemed to shimmer with the slight summer's night breeze, the little brook reflected the moonlight making the image look like it was dancing. The surrounding forest was dark but felt familiar, the woods smelled and felt comfortable, the trees seemed to calm me. I put Matt on the grass and he sat there looking at me as I played with his hair. I then leaned back on my arms while I looked at the sky.