Chapter 31 -- Apology And A Vow

Like the other ops I'd seen, plans were made and revisited, reworked, and then reviewed again. Backup plans were made, all angles inspected and incorporated all the technology at our disposal. Which was impressive since Stephen's team could tap into several different types of satellite feeds, communications relays, and even the maritime system that Zeke's captain plugged into so we could follow any ship activities.

Matthew had arranged for as many of our warriors in the city as possible, and had traveled to Cork to visit with the Alpha to make arrangements. Negotiations were fierce, and it was decided that new trade between our packs would be established in the high tech field. We purchased high-end tech equipment from overseas and would start to purchase some from the Cork Alpha and his network, including some leading edge communications equipment. Matthew had made another ally for our pack.

Zeke had been mainly staying in his hotel or traveling to the IEC Center, and hiring a few prostitutes to stay in his room. Stephen's team made contact and bribed one to fill them in on any other activities. So far there was nothing happening. But they did learn more about Zeke's habits and identified a few men that he met with. I asked Stephen when we were done to warn this woman that she was in danger, I hoped I was soon enough.

Schematics of the building were obtained and studied, and a vulnerability was found with one of the utility access tunnels. The security system and the building security teams were really good, but the entrance to the tunnel itself wasn't being captured on surveillance feeds. False footage could be used for the rest, and access could be made from the waterway next to the building. It was almost time to steal the device and all materials, and destroy the lab and equipment. Plans were being made to erase and destroy all known backup copies as well.

Tyler, Matthew, Stephen and various other team leaders had been in meetings for the last two days, and there was a lot riding on this 'op'. I also felt certain that there were at least two other labs in the UK that Zeke was using, but we didn't want to allow him time to use this new device against us.

When I first had thought about destroying Zeke's operation I didn't want anyone to get hurt. I soon realized that was impossible, and I couldn't have it both ways. We couldn't destroy the machine without fighting with Zeke's armed forces, and that meant wounded warriors on both sides. And Zeke's men would try to kill our warriors, and that was unacceptable. I realized that I would be responsible for many deaths, and hopefully very few of our own. Each warrior chosen was experienced and single, and knew the risks if not all the reasons. They were willing to die for their pack and I was in awe of their bravery.

I was sitting on my usual sofa in the underground bunker one afternoon thinking about this heavy burden while Stephen's Beta planning team were meeting at a large table. This had been going on for a few hours, and I was trying to decide what other things I wanted to go do. Matt was with Tamara, and I wanted to see my boy, I wanted to play with him and take him outside and I absently wondered what the weather was like. It was also time to call my mother, and I should check in with Gavon.

Snapping quickly out of my own thoughts, I was surprised by Stephen when he kneeled before me and grabbed a hold of my wrists. "Danika, love, you're distracting my warriors." He watched me as I looked down and I had been absentmindedly starting and extinguishing the silver flames in my hands, and I was currently holding a small, silver flame in my palm. I was so deep in thought I didn't realize I was doing this. I immediately closed my fists and looked over at the table. There were a few faces I hadn't seen before, and I started blushing in embarrassment. Some of their expressions were astonished, and some were just smiling. But they were totally focused on me and the flames in my hands.