Chapter 13 -- Freedom Tree

My 'Guard' and Elise especially were always nearby . The three of them had gotten matching tattoos on their shoulders like idiots, and loved to brag about them to anyone who would listen. I just wanted to be able to run in the woods like a normal wolf. I'd have to plan a sneaky way to get away from them for an hour or two, without having Stephen freak out.

This became my obsession, and since I tried to escape from them before, they weren't believing any stories I tried to tell them. So I would have to plan a diversion. I figure I would ditch them at the pack day care since it was always chaos with the three year olds. I started to go to the day care a little more frequently, but not enough that anyone noticed. Stephen was busy putting his final touches on his 'Revenge op' I called it, but was always checking in on me. During my times at the day care I could go to the bathroom alone, and I started to bring a few things I would need for my perfect getaway. I needed comfortable rubber waders, a coat, water, and a blanket. Then I was all set for the next day.

I felt slightly guilty since Elise and the boys would get in trouble, but I would take any punishment for them. I wasn't going far, but I just needed some time to myself. Later that night after we had made love, I brought the subject up again.

"Stephen, love, I need just a little time to myself. I love you and I love my life, but I just need some time where I am alone with my own thoughts and don't have someone shadowing me."

"No," he said immediately hugging me closer. "There's too much danger right now, and there's no way I can protect you from Zeke if he sneaks in here." Well I did give him a final chance. And Stephen had asked his father to find out more about Zeke, I hope he finds out what the madman is. I think he's some sort of wizard, but I don't know. I've never heard of wizards, but I've never seen anyone glow silver either. So I continued on with my escape planning in my head, all my thoughts blocked from Stephen.

The next day I woke up smiling. I was finally going to get my time alone. Since I was pregnant Stephen refused to have any more 'sessions', so I didn't have to worry about that kind of punishment from my little outing today. And he did take care of me in many, many other ways. But I did have a twinge of guilt, I know it's not Luna-like, but I'm not perfect.

When we reached the day care center I walked in and was welcomed by Maria, since she ran it.

"Good morning Luna, how are you?" she piped up.

"I'm fabulous this morning, Maria," I chirped back. Elise just looked at me a little sideways. "How about I go back with the 3-year olds this morning? Unless you want me to help out somewhere else?"

Maria looked down at her schedule and nodded, "Yea, that would be good. We can always use the help with them since they're learning how to shift."

I made my way to the back of the center and stepped into pandemonium. Three year old werewolves were just learning to shift and were very cranky. There were wails, fights, furniture being tossed about, screaming and name calling- everything I'd need to help with a diversion. I knew it was just a matter of time before Elise and the boys would be pressed for service. It took about twenty minutes but it finally happened. A group of boys shifted and started to pick fights with a group of girls. They all shifted and started to attack each other, only they couldn't hurt each other yet with their tiny little teeth and claws. And this as a good one, almost the entire room participated. Fights and tears and even a little blood, the mayhem reached a crescendo and I saw Elise and the men stepping in to separate the twenty tot wolves. I took that moment to slip out the side door away from the fray.

I ran quickly to the bathroom and retrieved my pack, then opened the window and climbed out. I then ran about 10 feet into the nearby woods and ran. I ran to the closest stream, put on my waders, and ran upstream as fast as I could, then grabbed a low branch and hoisted myself up. I didn't think they'd be able to trace my scent since I walked in the water. I then changed my shoes, and leaped from tree to tree until I found one I thought I would like to sit in. I only jumped to trees I knew I could easily reach, this had been part of my training in my old pack. And I was hoping Stephen wouldn't be thinking clearly enough to look up.