Chapter 32 - En Garde

We were waiting in the Command Center while the 'Op' was starting. I knew all the players now, I knew the stakes, I was making some of the decisions and a lot was riding on this. I was glad Stephen stayed here and I kept looking over at him while I kept Matt busy. My boy was growing so fast and I loved him so very much. He was starting to look more like Stephen every day and I smiled.

When I looked up at Stephen he was standing there watching me, smiling at his family. I could feel his contentment before he snapped back to monitoring this important 'op'. We mostly listened to the various reports as the teams got into place. Everything had been rehearsed down to the minute, and we would invade the building via the waterway. Two teams would access the service tunnels while another one tapped into their security system and fed the security monitors a 'false feed'. This would only last until our teams were detected, it was just a matter of time, but hopefully not until they reached the 'clean room' where the Avestan Machines were stored.

The teams entered the tunnels as expected, the security feeds were spliced and now we waited until the first shots were fired. Which happened about three minutes later as the first team made a dash to the 'clean room', breaking the glass wall that I saw in my 'vision'. Then the emergency sirens were blaring as security guards rushed there, while the second team met up and they started to pack up the parts as fast as they could.

The gunfire happened when both teams were exiting into the hallway, There was one fatality immediately in Team One, but the remaining wolves sent smoke bombs and put on masks. The bombs included the annoying wolfsbane which made the eyes water uncontrollably and burned the lungs. Our wolves then swiftly exited and made their way back to the access tunnels.

Team Two brought up the rear and there were a few more gunshot wounds, but they managed to all escape to the waiting boats. The security team has already exited and their boat and left to meet at the rendezvous point down river. A helicopter was warmed up and waiting, this was provided by the Irish Alpha with further negotiations by Matthew.

Stephen waited until everyone was in the boat before breaking into the conversation. "Casualties?" is all he asked. He wanted to know which wolf had died.

"Affirmative, two wolves wounded, one fatality on board with us. Calvin Grant, over."

I closed my eyes. I knew of him although we hadn't met except at my Luna ceremony. I heard Elise gasp as she started to tear up, Stephen just glanced at her then focused back on the station. The teams weren't safe yet.

Gavin made his way over to her and just sat down next to her to hold her. Calvin was one of her cousins, we would grieve together a little later. We started to hear distant police sirens, but the boats seemed to be going away from them. After another ten minutes of mostly silence, the Leader of Team One updated Stephen by stating they made it to the 'rendezvous point' safely and were now sinking the boats and boarding the helicopter. Teams One and two were taking the helicopter, and the security team was heading back to the Alpha's packhouse by SUV. So far things went fairly well.

"Stephen?" I 'linked' him. "Can you ask about the 'Machine' parts?" Stephen nodded and started speaking with the leader of Team Two. The team had cleaned the room out, taking everything they could see. I gave them a limited description of the setup and it must have been enough. There were five boxes which must have been fully assembled 'parts', and several pieces and circuit boards. They also were able to grab two portable computers for Timothy's department to play with.

I looked over at Mave and Timothy, she was sitting on his lap and returned my gaze and smiled. She was so happy, and I was happy to have our scientist back. I looked over at the monitors showing the satellite feeds, and police had surrounded the building, there were now dozens of them with more on the way. Helicopters were now in the sky and police boats in the water.