Chapter 26 -- A Hot Winter

I was dreading it. I didn't talk to Stephen about it, and I spent some time in the library studying it. My 'Heat'. It's something all mated female werewolves went through in the Winter, but not all at the same time. I was pregnant last Winter, and now Matt was six months old. And I wasn't pregnant this time. We had an enjoyable Thanksgiving and Christmas with the pack, and the snow was everywhere. Since I was the Alpha Female, once I started my heat the fertile she-wolves would start their heats. Mated females endured it harder than unmated wolves, but we all suffered through it, and many male wolves looked forward to the almost constant sex if they could find a willing partner. According to the books I would start to get warm, then hot, then I would have an uncontrollable lust for about two to three days. This happened to all she-wolves, it was a part of life.

Up to now my 'heat' had been just a nuisance and I was able to pretty much ignore it by just staying in my apartment back in my old pack. But I knew I was in for a rough time now since I was mated and an Alpha Female.

And I knew what Stephen had planned for me, he talked about it often enough. Almost like he was looking forward to it or something. Well, I wasn't. I was making my rounds in the village, I enjoyed talking to the shopkeepers, the librarians, the daycare staff- everyone that worked around the pack house. We didn't have any plans to go anywhere, Matt was fine and spent a few hours in the mornings at the daycare. I enjoyed my few hours when I could do what I wanted, and I always looked forward to getting back to my pup.

But today I wanted to watch the snowflakes. They were so beautiful, and the mountains were covered and glistening, the sunlight that peeked through the clouds made everything shine with radiance. It was beautiful. I stood at the end of the village and looked at the mountains and marveled at the snow covered forest, there wasn't any wind right this moment so I enjoyed watching the snowflakes fall lazily to their doom to join their friends in the snow banks. It was peaceful.

I heard Stephen walk up behind me, his boots crunching in the snow.

"It's time, love."

"I don't think so Stephen, I think I would know." I turned to look at him feeling slightly panicky. Stephen wore a nice older warm coat and a stocking cap.

"It's time, Danika," he said and held out his hand. He knew I was dreading it, he knew I didn't want to go through it. He knew I didn't want to lose control. But I truly didn't feel anything.

"Sweetheart, you're not even wearing a coat." I was surprised at this and looked down at my shirt, it was starting to get covered in small snowflakes. I then looked at Elise who stood discretely at the end of the street watching me anxiously. She was bundled in a parka and gloves. I then realized I should have been at least a little cold.

"But Stephen," I started saying and he leaned in closer and gave me a kiss and took my hand which felt slightly cool.

"It's time, you know it is," Stephen said gently. I just looked at him, then at Elise who still just stood watching. I could feel her concern, and knew Buck and Handy were nearby but not visible. They all knew this was hard for me even though I didn't say anything out loud. And I knew everyone was watching me and waiting for it, this was a big deal in the pack since all the females were affected. I was being closely monitored.

"What about Matt?" I asked miserably.

"We've already made plans, love. He's not nursing anymore and mother will watch him. You know all of this, you made the arrangements."

I sighed. But I didn't really feel hot. Stephen bent down and picked up a scoop of snow and put it on my arm. It melted almost instantly. He just raised his eyebrow and looked at me again. I hated when he did that. Well I still didn't feel hot. I looked out at the mountains, I breathed in the crisp air and let out a breath, and I watched my breath as it came out as a huff of fog and slowly drift away. All the signs were there that it was cold out- only I wasn't cold.