Chapter 23

We were led through a series of long, twisted corridors, that seemed to lead to nowhere. Every time we made a turn, I hoped to see Leo standing infront of me. His bandana swept slightly sideways over his forehead, his long arms outstretched, and a small tear in his Nutella brown eyes. But, every turn led to another corridor, that led to another turn, that led to another corridor.
We had only been walking all but about 5 minutes, when we were taken into a small room, bordered with blue, fabric chairs. A small brown coffee table stood in the middle, covered in magazines and cancer leaflets.

"When will I see Leo?"

The paramedic looked at me with wide eyes. His mouth opened, his hand running through his hair. I knew what he was going to say.

"I'm afraid we cannot be sure. Everybody reacts differently to surgery-"

Victoria then joined in.

"So, you don't know how long this is going to take?"

"I'm afraid not."

"Well can you ask?"

The paramedic inhaled, and let out a long, tired some sigh.

"I'm afraid only time will tell us. But if there is anything I can do-"

"Updates.."

His eyes widened, and he looked at the floor. He must've been contemplating the meaning of life, because with pain is the asses like me, why would you even choose that job?

"Of course, I will give you an update every 10 minutes."

Victoria and I nodded simultaneously, and with that he disappeared down the corridor maze.

***

"So, you may come and see him now."

A nurse was standing outside a door to the room he lay in. She had dark, curly hair tied up neatly in a bun, and emerald green eyes that looked straight through you. She had smooth, dark skin and amazing white teeth. She was holding a clip board to her chest, and wore a red shirt and trousers, with white trainers.

She opened the door, and me and my mum let Victoria in first, both of us nervously trailing behind.

He lay there, still and calmly, almost mummified in the white bed sheets. He had an oxygen mask over his face, and wires clinging for his chest and arms.

His hand was hanging loosely over the side of the bed, I swept my finger softly across his palm, tracing his fingers slowly.

A single tear ran down my cheek, he looked so helpless and fragile, completely the opposite of himself. He didn't look like Leondre anymore..