Chapter Twenty-nine: Skinny Love

Dennise's POV

I just have to confirm something. I had to know what will I feel after I hear her answer, then I'll know what to feel for her. I wanted to confirm, if I am indeed had finally fallen for her.

What will this damn heart do when I'll finally hear what she has to say. I collected my courage, I collected myself. I wanted to be brave. I have to take the risk.

"Do you still love me?" I blurted out. I crossed my fingers in my mind. Not knowing what answer I am hoping for. For a moment, she hesitated. Clearly confused of why I'm asking her this. Then she finally spoke, "Ofcourse. You're my bestfriend remember?"

There was this sudden pain in my chest. It was familiar but very unfamiliar too at the same time.

I am hurt.

I hoped that she's lying. I wished that she'll take back what she told me first and tell me she still love me. Hearing her say that, I rested my head on her shoulders. I can feel my tears slowly building in my eyes. But I know I can't cry in front of her. My tears betrayed me. I felt a tear escaped from my left eye and I know that I just have to get away from her for a little while. I have to collect myself.

I need to keep my sane, because this realization that hit me right now is driving me crazy. For these past months, I have lost myself in her.

I have fallen in love with her in the process of taking her back.

I inhaled deeply, like it was the last breath that I will take. But yes, in a way, it was the last breath I took because now, I am dying inside.

I am dying inside because I am inlove with her now and she's not with me.

So this is how you felt when you fell for me? It was too painful.

I stood up. I need my space. Not too much space, because I know that I can't afford to lose my grip on her hands again. I can't let her go. I started walking away from her without even saying a word. She was startled, that's for sure because of the sudden change in my mood.

"Den! Wait up! San ka pupunta?" She shouted but I didn't respond. I can't look at her right now. I'm scared that if I do, I will drown in those calm brown eyes again. I'm afraid to fall deeper for her.

The football varsity team was still in practice. But even them became nothing. Their presence is unrecognizable, because at the moment, only Alyssa and my beating heart for her was all that I could feel but could not fathom. This is so complicated. I told myself. When I thought everything was already falling on its proper place, everything comes crashing down. I just realized I'm inlove with my bestfriend like what she did for me five years ago.

I just continued walking. Alyssa still following me behind. Clearly confused with the sudden change of my mood. Then I heard heavy footsteps coming toward me and deep voices calling out for me to dodge.

"Miss! Ilag!"

"Shit!" Dozens of voices filled the atmosphere. But one voice surfaced. She sounded like in panick.

"Den!" It was Alyssa. And I saw a flying soccer ball in my direction! "Fuck!" I cursed and covered my head for protection. Then. . .

Blag!!

I waited for the ball to hit me but nothing came. I felt strong arms around my body. She was holding me in my waist, while her other hand was holding my head. "Aray!" Daing niya.

Nakita kong gumugulong yung bola meters away from us. It must've bounced back because of the impact. Tsaka ko lang narealize na si Aly yung natamaan imbis na ako. Hinihimas niya yung likod ng ulo niya at halata sa kanyang mukha ang sakit. Why did she do that?!!