Little Magic Here. Little Magic There. And Glitter Everywhere!!!

Chapter 63

It was near silent v as he told Magnus what had happened. Percy wished that he could avoid talking about the Hunger Games. He knew that it would somber the mood immediately and he would not be able to talk about it without crying.

"The next place that I went to . . ." Percy began, "It was from a book that I had read, called the Hunger Games."

"We have that book here," Magnus said. Percy's eyes widened.

"Really?" he asked. Magnus flicked his wrist and a book flew in from the other room. It was indeed the Hunger Games. He could hardly believe it. It dropped into Percy's lap. Absently he flipped through the pages.

As if soaking in pain, his fingertips began to ache. Annabeth. He had last seen her there, in that world. Percy set the book on the coffee table.

"What's wrong?" Magnus asked. Percy didn't realize that he looked so sour.

"Anyway, I dropped into that world and was soon scooped up by authorities and dropped into integration. They thought that I was some spy for district 13 or something. I knew that I shouldn't tell them who I really was. after what happened with Rumpelstiltskin," Percy said, Magnus nodded, "it has gotten kind of murky since then, but anyway . . . they were very adamant about finding out . . . they tortured me . . ."

"You didn't use your abilities?" Magnus asked in hushed disbelief.

"I couldn't . . . something was interfering . . ." Percy said, "The person that was torturing me, she looked exactly like Annabeth." Magnus was silent. Not wanting to relive the pain, he skimmed the details and talked about how somehow Annabeth got into Kim's body and their parting.

After a long pause while Percy waited to hear what Magnus thought, which was filled with silence, he continued.

Percy told him about America and Maxon, about first meeting Lorem, about going to the town called Night Vale, about meeting his twin (Harry Potter<whom Magnus seemed to recognize the name of but said nothing>), about killing Elsa, about Lorem getting kidnapped, and everything that happened in-between.

Percy was still waiting for Magnus to respond.

His friend had stood and walked to the other side of the room. Percy watched him as he stared blankly at a book case. Going over everything that had happened to him in that period of time Percy's life seemed bleak. More than bleak. It seemed depressing. Oppressive. Horrifying. Destructive.

"I have lived more years that I would care to count . . ." Magnus finally said, "and I have had enough destruction in my life to fill a couple hundred life times," he turned to Percy, "I never thought I would meet someone who had a worse life than myself."

"Well thanks," Percy said sourly. Magnus hung his head.

"I am sorry about Annabeth," he said. The name was like swallowing glass shards. Percy looked away.

"I can't think about it too much . . . I have to save the universe . . ." Percy told him. Magnus nodded. After all that the Master had done to stop him, it was obvious that he had a key part to play.

"You will," Magnus said. Percy didn't smile.

*******************

If it wasn't for Lorem's superior senses, she would have been dizzy at the speed she was grabbed and pressed against the alley wall. The air was almost knocked out of her as she stared into the dark eyes of her attacker.

"Who are you?" he asked aggressively. If he was impressed by her looks, he didn't let on.

"Keeli, Keeli Yates," she said. It may have been a better disguise had she actually tried to sound breathless or human at all. His eyes narrowed.