Lord Perseus

Chapter 17

America had had the worst time trying to sleep that night. Who was Annabeth? Who was it that tortured him? Why would he protect their identity?

His green eyes were imprinted in her mind. They were like emeralds gently sinking into the ocean. The nurses almost broke into a run when she found them and they looked at the increased vitals. The doctor had taken one look at him and called it a miracle. America's eyes had slid to Percy's clenched hand where he held the glowing stones. 

She turned onto her back. Staring up at the ceiling she imagined what Percy had been thinking. She looked away wondering who Annabeth was. His girlfriend? Or his wife? Whatever the case, her heart broke for him.

Sitting up she ran her eyes over the dark room. The curtains were open and the moonlight spilled into her room. The first few nights at the castle she had shut the curtains tightly because it was hard to sleep with the light, but after a while it had become a comfort.

    America slid out of bed and pulled her robe around her. Putting on her slippers she pursed her lips. She wanted to go visit Percy. Opening her door slowly, she peaked out. The guard turned to her, suddenly alert.

    "Everything all right, my lady?" he asked.

    America smiled, "Yes, thank you," she straightened, "I am going to go down to the hospital wing since I can't sleep."

    "Would you like me to take you there?" he offered.

    "No, thank you, I think I can manage," America walked into the hall way and nodded to him before heading down the hall.

    It must have been some time after one when she entered the hospital wing. The few nurses on duty were fine with her checking on him. America walked through the open doorway of his room. His eyes were closed and he looked almost peaceful.

    "Water," Percy mumbled under his breath. She sat next to him and looked at his hand, it was still clenched tightly around the stones.

    "Do you want water?" she asked softly.

    His eyes opened and he looked at her.

    "America," he breathed, "Good," his eyes were half closed like he was drowsy on something. "I need," he swallowed, "I need you to get me out of here."

    "What?" America didn't think she heard him correctly.

    "Listen," he said, "I have to get to some water, a pond, a bathtub, anything."

    "Percy, don't be ridiculous, you can hardly sit up. You just need to rest."

    He shook his head, "No no no, I need water. it- it will heal me."

    America sighed. He must have been high on morphine. She didn't blame him, but it was a little alarming. Putting him in a pond? What was he thinking?

    "You don't believe me," he looked away from her and sighed.

    "Its okay, Percy, you are going to heal up in here. The doctors are going to take great care of you."

    "No, America," Percy groaned, his voice became more urgent and less muddled, "I am too weak to prove it to you with my powers, but please, I need you to trust me. The only way I am going to get better from here is if you get me to water."

    She might have believed him if he hadn't just talked about powers.

    "You just need rest," she said with a smile.