Swordsman and Demigod

~

Chapter 3

A narrow-faced young man's head appeared under the edge of the table. His face was twisted in confusion.

"What are you doing under a table?" he asked with a British accent asked.

"Oh. . ." Percy smiled shabbily, "You know, cleaning?"

Percy began rubbing at a table leg with his shirt. But he probably looked like some sort of table imp with a goofy smile.

The guy blinked, "So that's what it sounds like?" he said to himself.

"What?" Percy stopped his rubbing.

"When I say stuff like that," he scoffed and indicated to Percy, "People always give me this look, and I guess now I understand why." The guy shook his head. "Come 'on, get up."

It wasn't always the best policy to do what strangers said, but considering that he had hidden under the guy's table . . .

Percy slid himself out from under the table and stood. He hugged his arms and tried to give him a friendly smile. The other guy narrowed his eyes at Percy. He wore pretty simple clothes and a brightly colored neck scarf. It reminded him of a bandanna or something. Percy never thought to wear one around his neck.

The guy crossed his arms and stared Percy down. He still had Percy's stolen sword in his hand.

"Who are you?" He asked.

"Percy Jackson, and you?"

"Merlin," the guy answered.

Percy's jaw dropped.

"Woah! Like THE Merlin!?!?" his eyes went wide.

Merlin looked around nervously and dropped his arms before he came closer to Percy.

"Don't say it like that!" Merlin whispered.

"Why?" Percy asked. Narrowing his eyes, he reached up and poked Merlin's cheek.

"Ow?" Merlin said before rubbing the area he had poked.

"Shouldn't you have a beard or something?" Percy asked, "Oh wait, that's not till you are older."

Merlin shot daggers at him with his eyes. "Stop talking! How do you even know this?"

"Know what? That you're a wizard?" Percy said.

Suddenly Merlin's hand was clamped over Percy's mouth.

"LISTEN for a second!" Merlin whispered loudly. "I don't know who you are and why you are so simple, but if anyone knew I had magic, they would kill me! So please be quiet!"

With eyes wide, he nodded slowly, and then Merlin released him.

Percy was pretty sure death because of magic wasn't in the myth, but he didn't pay much attention to other legends very well. There were too many Greek ones as it was. Let alone the Roman ones which, according to Annabeth, he was supposed to know now.

"Sorry," Percy said before brushing out his shirt.

Merlin sighed, "Okay, now where the heck did you come from?"

"It's a long story," Percy said.

"I am sure it is." Merlin agreed.

"Why?" Percy crossed his arms.

"Your clothes, your accent, and also the fact that you knew . . . what I can do." Merlin said.

"Fair point," Percy said, "what's up with the whole no magic thing anyway?"