Battle Under the Storm

Chapter 79

    Lorem took in a deep breath and closed her eyes.

    The water lapped at her shoulders as Jack supported both of them. Her white hair was pasted to her neck. The fabric of the dress was weighing her down like nothing she had ever experienced. She could hear the pirates up above them. Their guns being cocked.

    "Any minute sweet heart," Jack said with a grunt.

    She let go of the breath and her consciousness spread into everything.

    Immediately the water stilled. The wind stopped blowing. A platform rose in the water to give them a firm ground. She spread the platform to encircle the entire ship. The boat stopped moving. Jack gasped as everything fell into silence.

    "By Davy Jones . . ." he whispered.

    Her gown stuck to her like a second skin as the platform rose so the water only reached their knees. In a blink of an eye, she changed the dress into a purple tunic top with white leggings. Lorem let go of Jack.

    "Lorem," Jack said. She turned her head towards him without opening her eyes. "Just don't hurt my ship." Lorem rolled her eyes beneath her lids.

    "You might want to stand back," she told him. She felt him do so and then she raised her hands.

    The sky went from clear and sunny to dark as storm clouds filled the sky. Rain poured down on them, soaking through her new top. Above her she felt Percy break free of his bonds.

    A smile played on her face as her power raced through her limbs.

******************

    When the rain started Percy felt something enter his mind. He had been too distracted to notice when they had entered the boat that he had lost his magic. But as this new rain hit him, he felt everything inside him open up. The water renewed his energy and healed his throat.

    Percy worked his hands down into his pocket and prayed to all of the distant gods that it would work. He grabbed Riptide and slid the cap off. The blade grew from the pen. A grin spread across his face. He sliced the ropes off of him in a millisecond.

    Militum stared at him in surprise as they were freed. But one of the pirates noticed too.

    "They cut the ropes!" he yelled, even if it was muddled through the water.

    All of the pirates turned around from where they were staring down at Lorem in the water and charged him.

    In response, Percy raised Riptide into the air.

    The storm Lorem had created was supercharged with magic and bent to his will fluidly. The clouds swirled and the wind raged as the rain pounded against the deck harder. Percy looked around himself and saw he had called upon a hurricane.

    "Finally," he whispered.

    Then he dove into the fight.

    A pirate screamed as he thrust his sword at Percy. He dogged and tried to slice at the guy's legs but the blade went right through.

    "Dang it," Percy said. He had forgotten that the blade didn't kill mortals. Percy dropped the sword and kicked the guy's knee cap in. the Pirate screamed. Percy punched him in the jaw and he was down on the deck.    

    In retrospect, he was thrilled that these guys weren't immortal, and it gave him a new idea on how to get rid of Militum. How had he not thought of it before?