Lorem's Sacrifice

Chapter 72

    "You can sleep here tonight," Natasha said showing Lorem her room. She forced a smile at the red head before she left.

    It was a luxurious room that no doubt had automated features that she had no idea about. But lorem was much more interested in sleeping. She couldn't remember the last time she had slept. It must have been back at Damon's house. She had gone almost four days without sleep and then with the added bonus of, one, two, three, four jumps in that amount of time. Lorem had been so lucky to hitch a ride to New York. She would have had to catch a ride some other way because she was so depleted.

    Lorem didn't even bother changing clothes before crawling on top of the bed, not caring for getting under the blankets, and let her eyes slip closed as she hoped to Tartarus and back that Percy was okay.

    Lorem opened her eyes inside a dream.

    This was new.

    She had never had a dream in her entire life, why were they beginning now?

    Around her was the inside of an open room. She could feel power, unlike any she had felt since being shattered into pieces, fill her. It boiled in her, begging to come out and be used. She knew the things she could do, the incredibly good things and the terrible things that were at her fingertips. But she knew exactly what she was doing. There were rules, and no one of her kind would ever break them, least of all her. The rules were simple and everyone kept them, so no one got hurt.

    Lorem was young. Younger than she was in her body with Percy. She realized that this was a flashback. To her past.

    She was just beginning to be formed, made, and she was already blossoming. Her people all around her could all feel that she was more powerful than all of the young that were created in the recent times. The beings would be planning some special preparations for her. Everyone knew it.

    But there was something bad happening. Lights were going on and off, red lights. None of the elders would tell her what was going on. All of the young knew there was something bad happening between the beings above, but no one knew what.

    "Lorem?" one of the other young said her name. She turned her attention to him. "I think there are other things here . . ."

    Suddenly the elders burst into firey thunders. Lorem could feel the new beings in the chamber with them. These creatures were not their beings, they were something else, something lethal. The elders were trying to send them away, but the creatures just shut their powers away with a device that the beings above used on her kind who went mad.

    "Which one is it?" one of the creatures asked its companions. Lorem was not at all alarmed, none of her kind could become alarmed since they didn't have emotions.

    "That one," another replied. They were talking about herself.

    Suddenly she felt everything become disjointed, loose, and all her power began to drain away. The creatures had ten small stones in front of them. Lorem felt herself being sucked inside them. Her consciousness being stripped away. Just before she went into hibernation she heard one of them say:

    "Once we scatter its pieces through time then we will be unstoppable,"

    And then like that, she was gone again. Everything that made her, herself was separated between ten stones that held her captive. Then she was tossed into time.

    Lorem sat up and gasped. She was breathing hard. Frantically she looked down at herself and checked her mind. It was still intact. Relief washed over her.