Clockwork Golems and Difficult Princes

I wait for the first signs of dawn before I leave my room, armed with my bow, quiver, sword, and knives. I head towards the training area. This is where the guards, knights and nobles train. It will also serve as my training ground too.

I see that a few devoted warriors have already made their way to the small yard at the back of the palace. It's a huge grass field that serves as an arena and an archery range. Sometimes, bored (or rather boring) ladies and noblewomen come and watch the men spar and exercise. Personally, I think they're stupid, but what would I know? I've been surrounded by men my whole life, and I've always been to busy for personal relationships. Maybe I'm the idiot.

I decide to warm up with a little bit of target practise. I snap my fingers, and the targets set themselves up at different distances along the field. I take a shot at each target, going through each one slowly, getting used to the weight of my bow, before I repeat the process at a rapid fire pace. I look at each target and note with satisfaction that the arrows have all found their way to the bullseye. Good. With a wave of my hands, the targets dismantle and float back to where they are usually stored (in this case, an old tin shed). I then find the Golems.

These ones are mechanical, clock works, they call them. I drag them out into the field and wind them up, turning them on. And then I ready myself for a fight.

There are five golems in total. I watch as they come to life, their gears whirring into action. One has a spear that it twirls around expertly, another has a sword that makes a swishing sound when it slices through the air. The Golem behind me, I notice, is wielding a scary looking mace. His friend, who sits in the very corner of my peripheral vision, has a wooden staff, and the golem right in front of me wields no weapons at all. And I'm supposed to fight them with only my bow and arrow.

I slow my breathing, and take notice of their position. I try to figure out what their weak spot would be. I guess it'll just have to be trial and error.

Without warning, the Golem behind me has made slow movements towards my back. It raises its mace in an attempt to hit me, but I turn around and kick the weapon out of its metal hands. I raise my bow with an arrow at the ready and aim at the spot where it's heart should be. If this is supposed to simulate a real attack with real people, then the most logical place to put a weakness is either the heart or the head.

I loose the arrow and watch as it cuts right through the metal shell and comes out the other side. The golem's gears stop turning and it slumps forward, lifeless once more. That's it. The trick is to aim for the heart.

No sooner had I thought this, then the second golem advanced from my left. I turn to it and find that it's turning the staff like a helicopter blade, protecting the place above its heart. Clever. I wait for it to come closer, but that may not be a good idea, as the other three are also surrounding me. In a fight, never let yourself be surrounded. I direct my attention to the golem without a weapon and send an arrow at its supposed chest. With lightning speed, the golem deflects my arrow with its hand. Hmmmm... ok. This could be more difficult. I send an arrow aimed at its lower limb, then another at its head, and then a third at its heart. One directly after the other, the first still in flight after the third was released.

The golem deflects the arrow aimed at its leg, then the one aimed at its head, but can't stop the third arrow aimed at its heart. It to becomes limp and lifeless. But the other three are still moving in. I run forward with a surprising burst of speed, and charge the golem carrying a spear. It lunges at me, two metal hands holding the shaft of sharpened wood with an iron grip. I dodge and duck before sweeping my leg out and knocking it to the ground. Quickly, I jump to my feet and shoot it in the chest. It stops before it can stand.