A Little Outing

The horse trotted along, carrying Callum and I. It was in the middle of the group, for Callum's protection, the King and Queen had said. I held the reins loosely, not really needing to pay attention. The horse we rode was fairly docile and easily responded to my commands. Callum slumped forward in the saddle, leaning his chest against my back. I nudge him off.

"Callum, you're already holding me like letting go would mean certain death. I don't care if you're tired, you're not touching me anymore than you already are," I remind him for the third time today and point to his arms that are wrapped firmly around my waist. It had been three hours, maybe four, since we'd left the palace to go on the royal family's annual camping trip. And guess who'd agreed to go for the first time in three years, but had admitted he didn't know how to ride? Your answer, ladies and gentlemen, is; Prince Callum of Emerald.

"I am so teaching you how to ride," I grumble. Callum clears his throat.

"Well, when I did go, Arran used to ride with me, so I never worried about it," Callum mumbles quietly. That shut me up quickly. I felt guilt churn in my gut as Callum leaned forward again, this time, however, I let him rest.

Suddenly, Kat makes an appearance, her head popping out of the saddle bag near my leg. She glances at Callum, and then at me, and then back again, surveying us curiously. Sometimes I wonder what she's thinking, and I could probably find out if I really wanted to know, her being my familiar and all.

"I hear you Callum. But, fortunately for me, I'm a cat and I can sleep away my boredom," Kat says proudly. Callum pulls away from my back and looks at Kat as though she's the most interesting thing in the world. Geez, he must've been bored.

"Hmmm, it wouldn't be so bad if I had someone to talk to," Callum mutters, glancing at me. I roll my eyes and keep them planted on the tree lined dirt road. In the first leg of the journey, Callum had been so chattery, but after about twenty minutes he'd run out of things to say, and had resorted to 'are we there yet?'. Needless to say, I'd told him to be quiet.

"Perhaps if you had something to talk about, I wouldn't be so hesitant," I retort. Callum shakes his head, a huge smirk lifting the corners of his lips. Kat continues to stare at us both, her glances becoming slightly unnerving.

"Oh! Callum, I know what you could do to entertain yourself! You could do Ella's hair, it looks atrocious today," Kat remarks bluntly. I feel my body go stock- still as I glare at Kat. She knows full well that I don't like being touched, least of all by boys. Kat giggles girlishly and buries herself back in the saddle bag.

"You know... that's not actually a bad idea," Callum contemplates with a huge smirk lifting up the corner of his lips. His hands have already reached my messy black hair. I feel him gently running his fingers through my wild mane as he arranges it in a plait, but quickly becomes bored with that and changes it to a French braid, not seeming to like it much better than the plait. I can't deny that his touch made me feel warm and excited. I bite my tongue to hold back my ridiculous urge to sigh pathetically. Occasionally, his fingers brushed my shoulders, sending pleasant tingles through my body. In an instant, I want him to touch me, all of me, but I grit my teeth and ignore it. No way in hell is Callum touching me more than is politely acceptable.

"We're here!" the Queen calls out excitedly as we ride into a clearing. It was quite large, probably because it received a fair few visitors at least once a year. The grass was a bright shade of frog green and the trees were like welcoming guests, their long branches outstretched in a welcoming pose. A gentle breeze caressed my face, bringing with it the sound of running water. Somewhere ahead, there was a stream.

"I forgot how beautiful this place was," Callum murmured. I nod in agreement.

"You really should've told me, I think I'm in love!" I exclaim and turn around to laugh with him, but all I'm met with is a frown. My smile evaporates, as though it had never been in the first place. Callum continues to stare at me thoughtfully.

"Ella, speaking of love, if you ever found your Match, would you let them have you, or would you reject them?" He asks randomly. I can do nothing but look at him. My mind has refused to work, and my mouth has refused to answer his question.

"I- I'm not sure," I eventually stutter weakly. Callum processes what I've said and nods. With difficulty, he dismounts our horse and goes to pitch the tent we'll have to share tonight. I gracefully slip out of the saddle and gently tug on the reins. Plodding behind me, the horse obediently follows. I look for the stream, letting the peaceful sound of running water lead me to it. After a few minutes, the horse and I walk out of the trees and find ourselves on the bank of a little stream. Without even needing to be told, the horse lowers its head and drinks thirstily. I gently pet it's neck, my thoughts wandering to what Callum had said earlier. Would I let my Match take me? Well, that's only if I ever found mine. Part of me wanted to cringe disgustedly, and the other wanted to say that if I found my Match, I would surrender myself to them. I honestly didn't know.

Once the horse was finished drinking, I brought it and myself back to the camp. Slowly, the setting sun had crept lower without our notice. Darkness was falling, and the ever darkening purple sky was already dotted with tiny, sparkling dots. By now, most people were gathered around the warmly glowing camp fire, their hands held out in front if them as they tried to warm their freezing fingers. I quickly tied the horse to a nearby tree and hurried over to the little group of people huddled around the flickering firelight. I instinctively sat next to Callum who gave me a cursory glance before staring at the dancing flames once more. We remained silent for quite a while, though my stomach disagreed. At the smell of warm food cooking, it started to rumble uncontrollably. Finally unable to contain his laughter, Callum chuckles, his voice deep and hearty. I punch him playfully.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm hungry, big deal," I snap.

"Don't worry I'm hungry too," he mutters. He looks at me strangely, as though he's sizing me up.

"What are you doing? I'll warn you now, I'm not that tasty," I joke. Callum laughs, but his eyes remain in me.

"If you must know, I'm thinking about how nice you would look in a ball gown," he answers honestly. My eyes widen as his gaze becomes more intense. I feel him wrap an arm around my waist and pull me close. His face is now barely a few inches away from mine.

"Why would you think about that?" I breathe. He smiles gently and runs a hand down the curve of my body, making me tip my head back and gasp at the tingles spreading through me.

"Because, it may have taken me sometime to see through your tomboy disguise, but you're actually very beautiful. I can just imagine it. You walking into a ballroom with your hair done up nicely and a beautiful ball gown. It would be green naturally, and it would comment your rather lovely..." he coughs awkwardly. "Female features. And I can see everyone stopping and staring at you. Suddenly out of the blue, a handsome young man steps forward and asks you to dance with him. He holds your waist," Callum pauses and gently squeezes my waist. I can't hold it in anymore; I sigh breathily and Callum seems pleased with my reaction. "And then he twirls you around the dance floor, and you're so taken by him, that when he leads you outside and begs you to give him a kiss, you do. And another, and another, until he picks you up in his arms," Callum pulls my body into his lap and picks me up. "And takes you to his room," Callum lays me down on the ground before sitting himself on top of me. He leans forward, his voice barely a whisper. "And then he'll lay you in his bed and sleep with you, or watch you sleep as he protects you... or maybe he'll make sweet l-"

A bell rings and echoes across the camp ground, signally that dinner is ready. I quickly wriggle out of Callum's grip and head towards the lineup, Callum following closely behind me. I realise that I'm barely breathing and take a moment to inhale the sweet air that clears my head. What in Celestia was that? What was Callum thinking? For the rest of the night, I ordered myself to do things such as sit, and eat, but my mind would often drift away, lost in thought.