Suspicions

It took Callum two days to fully recover. Those two days were hard, and Callum was restless, wanting to get up and move around, but always feeling dizzy and naseous when he tried to sit upright. To make him feel better, I read to him and talked to him, trying to distract his restless mind. Once he was up, though, he was fine.

"I just don't get it," he says, when I join him in his room for breakfast.

"Don't get what?" I ask, though I think I know. Callum glances at me, unsure of whether to voice his opinions or not. I nod, silently telling him to continue.

"Well, I know that Stephan wasn't my biggest fan, but still, why'd he try to kill me? I don't think he hated me that much," Callum says, looking at me for a sign of approval or a signal to stop. I do neither of these things, but he's right. This situation isn't quite what it seems. If Stephan had truly hated Callum enough to kill him, he would've done it quickly and quietly, and no one would've been any wiser. But no, he waited, almost as if someone was telling him what to do, and this makes me suspect a higher power. We always thought the Cursed were involved, but now I'm thinking that this is more than just a terror act on their part. They're planning something, and by the looks of things, they need Callum out of the way to do it. But what? Callum's no brilliant leader, or powerful sorcerer, not yet anyway, and he sure as hell wasn't when they first tried to assassinate him. I sigh, frustrated and confused.

"I don't know. I think there's a higher power, and we know the Cursed are involved. The thing we don't know is why," I explain. Callum nods thoughtfully. We hear the door creak open, accompanied by the pitter patter of tiny paws. Suddenly, Kat leaps onto Callum's bed.

"So, I hear you're better?" Kat asks. Callum nods, humouring her. I roll my eyes, grinning broadly.

"Yeah, but I wouldn't have been, not if Ella hadn't been there," he adds, turning to me. I look away, unable to meet his eyes. I feel my cheeks flush, and my mind go dizzy. My stomach twists nervously with excited butterflies, and I don't understand why any of this is happening. Why am I acting like an idiot?

"Oh, it was n- nothing," I stammer stupidly. Callum frowns. He opens his mouth to ask a question, but the door bursts open. A royal guard, actually the new Captain, hurries inside. He stares at Callum and I for a moment, sweat trickling down his forehead. His breaths are ragged and he looks exhausted. My guess is that he just ran here from somewhere else. Something big's happened. My heart leaps hopefully, perhaps they've found other evidence.

"Your Majesty," the guard says, bowing slightly to Callum. "Miss Ella," he says, nodding to me. I nod back, gesturing for him to continue. "Your parents, the King and Queen, have requested both you and your Protector's presence in the throne room immediately. Princess Cynthia of Solaria has made an... unexpected visit," the guard announces, addressing Callum, before he bows again and walks out.

My stomach drops. Princess Cynthia of Solaria, the Princess of the Sun realm. I glance at Callum, wondering if he's met her before, but he sees the question in my eyes and shakes his head. No, he hasn't. I sigh again, both happy and angry. Princess Cynthia makes Callum look like a saint, even before he met me. She's rude to those she looks down on, and sickly sweet to those on the same level or above. She's arrogant, but not stupid. Not completely, anyway. And most annoyingly, she's undeniably beautiful too. Golden blonde hair like the sun, and blue eyes like the endless summer skies of Solaria. I won't deny that I feel a little bit jealous of her, why wouldn't I? She has everything. A palace, a home, a family, beautiful looks and suitors beating down a path to her doorway. I suddenly feel anxious. How would Callum react to her? Would he fall for her?

I snap myself out of my thoughts and leave the room, giving Callum some privacy to change. Why did it bother me so much that he could fall for Princess Cynthia? Well, I guess it could be because he's just a toy to her... or it could be because she intends to use him in the hopes of boosting her status in society. Either way, she's not getting her hands on him. Boys are nothing but pawns or playthings in her little game that she likes to call life, and I don't want Callum to get hurt.

***
We walk into the throne room, me slightly behind Callum. Princess Cynthia stands before the King and Queen, chatting excitedly. She has her long blonde locks out and flowing down her back, all the way down to her waist. She wears a golden gown that reaches the floor, and the sleeves are off the shoulder. Looking at her, I suddenly felt self- conscious about my messy bun, plain green shirt, and dark brown pants. This is the thing I hate about Princess Cynthia, she always reminds me that I am 1) a girl, and 2) a girl who will most likely never have a boyfriend, never marry, and never have kids, all because I'm to much of a tomboy with a bad attitude towards love.

I watch Callum closely as he observes her. There's no point in denying it; he's interested. I notice that his lips curl up in a smile as he greets her, kneeling and kissing her hand. Princess Cynthia also appears quite taken with him, her blue eyes shamelessly trailing down his body. Remember when I said that Callum would be extremely handsome if he stopped frowning and smiled? Well, I was right.

"Princess Cynthia, what brings you to Emerald?" Callum asks politely. Cynthia gives him a dazzling smile and wipes imaginary dust from her shoulders. I see Callum's eyes watch her movements carefully, tracing the line of her shoulders and the curve of her body. Something harsh and angry twists in my gut. I bow my head, unable to watch them anymore. I felt defeated, as though I'd just lost something precious, though I'm still not sure what.

"Well, my father is urging me to look at all the available options in Celestia. You see, I turn eighteen soon, and I'm quite eager to tie the knot with someone, maybe a handsome man such as yourself," she adds, glancing at Callum hopefully. Callum gulps and shifts uncomfortably.

"Ummm, well, uh, marriage might be a bit much for now, but you're welcome to stay if you're interested in me," Callum stutters bluntly. I quietly smack my hand to my forehead. Cynthia smiles happily.

"That would be perfect."