Night Terrors

I scramble into my bathroom and change into a thin, white, pyjama shirt and loose, green shorts. I make the executive decision to keep my underclothes on, as Callum is on the other side of the door changing into his own night clothes. I look in the mirror for a second, ensuring that I don't look provocative in any way. I'm still clinging to the hope that he hasn't gotten the wrong idea, but judging from the way he was staring at me during dinner, I'd say I was hoping in vain.

I opened the door and quietly slipped into the room, where I was met by a very pleasant sight. And for once in my life, I wasn't being sarcastic l.

There, lying on my bed, in what I hope was a natural position, was Callum, shirtless and wearing nothing else but a short, loose pair of shorts. I stare at his muscles, and while I admit that I've seen better, I was absolutely smitten with the body in front of me. He looks up at me and smirks knowingly, reminding me of where I am and what's going on. Shaking my head and straightening, I hop in on the opposite side of bed, turn my body away from him, and mutter a quick "goodnight Callum."

I hear shuffling on his side of the bed and feel warm arms wrap around my waist. Instantly, I tense.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"Holding onto the girl I love."

At those words I leap out of bed. I wheel around and stare at him, stunned. I don't know why I'm so surprised; I already knew how he felt about me, though that had been discovered through his mother and the memories of a notebook. He'd never actually told me how he felt.

"C- Callum-"

"No, I love you Ella. I would do anything to make you happy, but ever since we kissed, you've been so... distant. Please, just give me a chance," he begs, not unlike earlier. I stare unblinkingly into his eyes. And in that moment, my heart cracks into two, jagged pieces that I fear can never be put back together

"I can't."

My anguished words hang in the room as Callum's face contorts into a horrified mask. He stares at me, begging me, pleading me with his hazel eyes, but I look away, ignoring his gaze.

"Why? Please, if you think I'd ever hurt you like Stephan did-"

"It's not that. One day, you're going to be King, and a King needs a Queen. Preferably of noble blood, or a good family, not-" I suck in a deep breath, sobbing openly now. "Not a broken past, or a dangerous gift. Can't you see Callum?" I look into his eyes and smile reassuringly. "I'm broken. I'm not good for you, and you deserve so much better."

Tears stream down my cheeks as speak. I can't believe I'm doing this. He's all I've ever wanted.

It's for his own good, a voice in my head tells me. I wish I could believe it, but it hurts to much. My heart aches and I feel empty, as though I'm a jug of water that had its contents poured out. I'm hollow. A shell. A scarred shell. Nothing more, nothing less.

Callum looks sad. His shoulders droop and his eyes hold heartbreak. His brow is furrowed, as though he's trying to work out a complicated problem, but can't quite put his finger on it.

"I- If that's what you want..." he trails off, his voice edged with despair and loss. If it's even possible, my heart breaks just that little bit more. I take his hands in mine and look into his sad, lost eyes.

"It is," I reassure him.

"Right, then, I-I respect your decision. But, can you promise me something?" He asks, his tone hopeful begging at the same time. I bite my plus and nod.

"What is it?"

"A kiss. One final kiss, and I'll leave you alone," he says instantly. I feel my body tremble at his request, but as much as I want to deny him, I can't.

"Alright."

Callum's eyes light up, and he quickly gets out of bed to pick my up in his arms. My legs hug his hips as he secures his arms around my waist. He gently lays me down, brushing my hair out of my face.

As he climbs into bed, he straddles my hips and leans in, but he doesn't kiss me yet. Instead, his fingers trace my lips, as though he's trying to remember them for as long as he lives.

"I know this won't change your mind but... even after today, I'll still love you against my better judgement. And there's nothing that can change that," he promises, his voice barely a whisper.

Except a pretty, noble girl, I think bitterly. That would change his mind.

Slowly, Callum leans in. His lips touch mine as he kisses me with all the passion he has in his being. A fire is ignited within me. My previous sadness is forgotten as our lips move in sync. The heat between us sky rockets as our warm bodies press against each other. Callum's curious hands wander underneath my shirt, and I can only moan in response as his feather light touch skims my bare stomach. Suddenly, he tries to take it off.

I break away from Callum gasping for air. He pulls away, backing off immediately.

"No. No more," I say through deep gulps of air. Callum lies down beside me, breathless.

"Ok," he says, trying to hide his disappointment, but I can tell it's there. He was hoping I'd change my mind.

***

Callum woke abruptly, almost as breathless as when he'd kissed Ella. Almost, but not quite. He glanced at the black haired beauty that lay next to him, and a small smile graced his face, even in spite of his terror stricken state. Quickly, checking that she was really asleep, he pulled her into his arms and ran his fingers through her silky hair.

Oh Ella, he thought, how could I ever forget the way I feel about you?

Thoughts of his nightmare entered Callum's head. He prayed that he would never see Ella like that. She'd been in the arms of a man who looked like Callum, but was far crueller. He'd been kissing Ella, in spite of her protests and screams. Callum's poor sweetheart had been trying to get away.

For as long as I live, I promise to protect her, as she's protected me. And with that promise, Callum's eyes began to close with Ella in his arms.

***

I woke up in Callum's arms, not know how I got there. As I try to wriggle out of his grasp, he holds me tighter. Sighing, I pull his arms off me and run into the bathroom before he can work out what's happened.

It pains me not to be with him. I want him just as much as he wants me, but I also don't want to be hurt again. The scars on my back sting and burn whenever I think of the heartache I'd be in if he ever broke things off with me to be with another girl. The blow alone would be to much for me, but my pride would also be hurt. Imagine what people would say about me?

'She's not good enough for him...'

'She's so pathetic to have believed in eternal love...'

'She's so weak to let something like that bring her down...'

Horrible thoughts fill my mind as a tear falls down my cheek. Unless I somehow find my Match, I will live alone, without love or need of love. At least, that's what I tell myself anyway.

This chapter is dedicated to TheDreamer1395 because not only does she support my works, but also writes amazing books that I thoroughly enjoy reading. If you're into Werewolf, romance, or Science fiction, you'll love her works as much as I do.