The Ball

I stare at the large oval mirror someone had moved into my room. The dress truly is beautiful, it's long, silky skirt reaching the floor and the off- the- shoulder straps really do accentuate my, uh, female form. My hair was done up in a bun that left two tendrils of hair trailing outside of it. I'd asked a maid to do that, seeing as Callum and I have been more awkward than usual. Actually, now, we don't even talk.

I wish I'd never fallen for him, then, perhaps I wouldn't have lost the only person in the world who I've come to call 'friend'. I thought that by falling in love, I'd only get hurt, but nobody told me that not falling in love can hurt just as much.

Perhaps I could give him and I a chance...

No!

No. Not happening. Whatever I'm feeling now has to be a lot better compared to heartbreak, right?

Honestly, I wasn't sure. And now all I feel is lost and sad without him, I'm starting to think that this is exactly the same.

"Oooooooo, you'll sweep that boy off his feet when he sees you," Kat coos. I turn around to stare at her, a little furry, black ball on my bed. I give her a half hearted smile before telling her for the thousandth time that Callum and I weren't meant to be.

"Kat, he and I... we might have liked each other, but that didn't mean it was going to work out."

"Yeah, but Ella, you guys are in love with each other, it's plain as day. Isn't it worth the risk?" Kat suggests gently, but this is enough to light a little fire of indignation within me. Why does everybody want me to 'give it a go'? Why can't they just be content with the fact that I'm uncomfortable about it? First Queen Lilliana, and now Kat. I think I can make my own decisions.

"Because, I'm not comfortable with it, and that's that," I snap. Kat, thankfully, avoids the topic.

"Soooooooo... a night of dancing and fun awaits you!" She exclaims with renewed enthusiasm. I heave in a deep breath, and then slowly let it out. Tonight's the night. The night of the ball.

"If I don't run out of the room first," I mumble, a ghost of smile playing on my lips. Suddenly, my clock strikes 6:30 and an alarm goes off, as I'd charmed it too, just for tonight. Quickly, I leap to my feet, gathering my skirts around me, and head towards the door, but Kat stops me.

"WAIT!" She yells. I turn around and stare at her, my arms raised in a questioning gesture. Kat just rolls her eyes and explains. "Go in late. It'll ensure that everyone looks at you when you enter."

"Which is exactly why I'm going early."

"No! I'm not just saying this because of... him, but, let's face it Ella, you need to get over him. Tonight, I want you to find a nice guy, get him to dance with you and a have a good time. If you walk in late, they'll all notice you, and you'll have your pick of the litter," Kat explains. I frown and bite my lip nervously. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to have a good time... but every time I picture myself dancing, I'm dancing with Callum. Being with other boys feels like I'm doing the wrong thing, as though I'm not supposed to be with them, but with Callum. And, that is exactly the reason why I need to spend more time with different people of the opposite gender.

"Alright."

***

Half an hour later, I stand outside the huge, mahogany, doors, twiddling my thumbs nervously. Tentatively, I knock, the simple action creating echoes along the empty halls behind me. Immediately, the great doors swing open, revealing the ballroom in all its marvellous glory.

The crystal chandelier sparkles and twinkles with the light of hundreds of floating candles and balls of light. The marble floors shine like polished gemstones and people wearing all manner of colours decorate the room like ornaments. I feel a nervous tendency to shrink back into the shadows and run for my life, but there's no going back now. Not when every head in the room has turned to look at me.