Learning to Fly

Still wearing the dress, I stalk towards the ballroom. I know Callum isn't in there any more, otherwise Lilliana wouldn't ask me to meet her there when I was finished with the dress. Ok, I'll admit it; I'm angry.

She knew.

She knew about the notebook, and she knew I'd find the memories. This is her way of getting me to fall for Callum even more than I already have. It's cruel, but she was certain it would work. And that's her fatal flaw. 

It didn't work.

Well, maybe it did, but that doesn't mean I'm going to tell Callum how I truly feel about him. No way. If anything, all the memories did was remind me that I'm his protector, not his girlfriend. My job is to put his life before mine and make sure he lives a long happy life. And that's just the way it is. 

Ahead, the large double doors of the ballroom come into view. I quicken my pace, my hands clenched into fists by my side. Lilliana may mean well, but no one messes around with my love life, or lack of, in my case.

Gripping the elegant bronze handles of the wooden doors, I fling them open and march inside. The doors magically slam shut behind me, exactly how I wanted them too, and I didn't even need to raise a finger. Lillian's stands in the centre of the ballroom and gives me a sideway glance. I saunter right up to her, narrowing my eyes and crossing my arms.

"You knew."

Two words. That's all I manage to spit out through the blinding rage that flows through my veins and rolls off me in sizzling waves. Lilliana doesn't seem to notice my obvious state of discontent, and if she does, she doesn't show it.

"Of course I knew.  But don't you see? I watched him stay by your side for days, never once did he want to leave you. Ella, if that isn't love, I don't know what is," the Queen claims. I roll my eyes and keep my arms crossed.

"Sure, it might be love now, but once he sees a pretty noble girl that can give him everything I can't, I'll be tossed away and replaced. I don't want to go through the hurt of being given love and then having it taken away from me. It's just not fair," I say, mumbling that last sentence. It isn't fair.  All my life, I've known pain like no other, and the only thing that could hurt more, is falling for someone, and have them hurt you. I don't need that, not now, not ever. 

"Like who?" The Queen asks, hands on her hips and her eyebrows raised. I shrug my shoulders and try and think of someone.

"Like... I don't know, Princess Cynthia perhaps? I know Callum sent her away, but I saw how he looked at her when he first met her. She's beautiful, and she can give him wealth, power and security, something, I can't do."

The Queen looks as though she would like to break something as soon as I mention Cynthia. After me, she's Cynthia's least favourite person. I guess the idea of her son and that hag being together isn't an appealing one, and I can't say that I disagree.  An unwelcome sight of Callum holding Cynthia in his arms and kissing her enters my mind and fills me with both sadness and a burning jealousy.

"No child of mine will ever be with that, that... she demon. I'd almost rather he dated a rotting corpse. At least the corpse doesn't constantly gossip," she hisses in disgust. I stare at her.

"Would you rather he dated the corpse to Moon Fairy with the gift of death?" I snap coldly. Her eyes flick to mine in surprise. They hold remorse in them, but that doesn't put a stop to my cold fury.

"Ella, I have no queries with what you are. Yes, you're powerful, and dangerous when you want to be, but you're also good, so good. You fight bad people and try to understand others. You don't judge a book by its cover, but instead trust your instincts, which are never wrong. I can't think of a more suitable person for Callum."