The Full Moon

It was a golden afternoon. I would know because I watched the sun sink lower into the horizon from behind drawn curtains. For a moment, the world was enveloped in a golden glow, as though it were trying to hold onto the day before it dissolved into the cold, harsh night. The time when everything, including myself, would be draped in silver. You know the saying 'a watched clock never ticks'? Well, it's true. I watched the day go by the same way a scientist observes a new specimen, and if anything, it went faster than usual.

Suddenly, I hear a knock at the door. I pull away from the curtains and the sun that sets to quickly. Cautiously, my hands move to the door know a d ease the door open. Callum stands before me, wearing a simple t- shirt and pants. I realise quickly that the t- shirt did very little to hide his chest and his impressive set of muscles, muscles that I didn't even know he'd had. All to late, I find myself staring at him intently. Quickly, I snap myself out of my thoughts, my very, very irrational thoughts. No, Callum is my friend, my best friend, nothing more. In my confusion, I failed to notice the way he was looking at me. It was only then that I realise he'd never seen me in something like this before. It was a pure white summer dress with straps that wrapped around my neck. The back was low, which is why I wore it, because when my wings grew, they would force their way out and ruin whatever I was wearing. (I'd learned that the hard way). Even after I cough and raise an eyebrow at him, Callum continues to stare.

"Callum?" I say sharply. Finally, he shakes himself and mutters an apology. I nod and let him in.

"So, uh, what do you usually do around here?" He asks awkwardly. I smile sarcastically at him.

"Well it's all sunshine and rainbows actually."

"Really?"

"No. I sit in the bathroom all night and try not to hate myself anymore than I already do," I snap. Callum looks apologetic, but doesn't say anything as I lead him to the bathroom. We sit down for a while, and I watch as the golden sunshine dims, along with the greying sky. Soon, it's dark, and only starlight dares to illuminate the world.

"Ella?"

I snap my head in Callum's direction, trying not to look annoyed. Callum bites his lip and looks away, wondering if he should continue. I nod encouragingly, and, finally, he speaks.

"Does it hurt... with your, uh, wings?" he says uncomfortably. My frown softens into a sad smile.

"No, it doesn't hurt. I just... don't like it," I mutter. Callum looks at me, as though he wants me to elaborate, but I don't. Instead, my eyes are glued to the silvery light that tells me the moon is rising. I step into it, noticing the instant change in my skin and hair. I close my eyes and feel something push out between my shoulder blades, and I know my wings have appeared. Glancing in the mirror, I see a silver creature with transparent silvery wings that glint like dew drops in spiderwebs. My eyes are still green, but they're mixed with a kind of silver sparkle. Looking away, I glance at Callum and gasp. His skin and hair is gold, and he seems to be radiating an irresistible warmth, unlike my unnaturally cold skin. He looks at me and grins, before standing up and wrapping his arms around my waist. I feel some part of me brush his skin, but I can't pinpoint the exact location on my body. It feels as though it's attached to me, but hanging off my body at the same time.

"C- Can I touch them?" Callum asks, pointing to my wings. Tentatively, I nod. I've never had anyone touch my wings before. Again, I get the feeling that something's touching me, but I'm not sure where. I see Callum rubbing his fingers on the lower half of my left wing, and the feeling, as well as the location, are where the touches are coming from.

"It's my wings," I mumble, surprised. I never knew that I could feel it when someone touched them, and I sure didn't know how good it felt either. Callum's fingers caressed my silver, butterfly- like wings, and it felt as though someone had cut a taught string within me, allowing myself to release all the stress and tension I'd been holding for years. I feel myself completely relax, his arms being the only thing that supported me.

"Does this feel good?"

I look into Callum's eyes and give him a smile before nodding eagerly. Callum smiles back at me, his hands roaming the rest of my wings until I'm nothing more than a puddle in his arms.

Carefully, Callum sets me down on the floor, lying down next to me. He then grabs my waist and pulls me on top of him. I smile happily, letting him know that I like this, that I'm ok with it. We stay like this for hours, just talking. I ask him if he has to assume his true form at a certain time as well, but he shakes his head and tells me that, when he's in control, he doesn't have to change at all.

"Why did you change tonight then?" I'd asked. Callum looked into my eyes and gave me a sweet smile.

"I wanted you to know that I'm just like you. I didn't want you to be afraid."

***

"Do it!" The big man commands. He kicks my side and I feel it become sore. There'll be a bruise there tomorrow, not that I'll be able to see it in the darkness.

"I said do it!" he yells at me again. I shake my head, feeling dizzy as I do it. I can't give in this time, I just can't, because the person I'm supposed to kill, is a little girl, even younger than I am. I have to be strong, for her, and for myself. I won't do it.

"DO IT!"

"NO!" I screech back. The big man disappears, only to reappear with his favourite method of torture; his whips. I kick and scramble back, but it's no use. He's to big, and way to strong. I couldn't resist him even, as much as I wanted to. My attempts at getting away were futile. I'd been in this place for years! There was no such thing as escape, or freedom.

The big man beats me, his whips creating new scars with every lashing. I feel warm tears trickle down my face and feel blood running down my side. The child in the corner screams, her fear growing by the minute-

***

"Ella! Ella, wake up!" Callum shouts in my ear. I jolt out of my usual night time horrors and look him in the eyes, trying to show him that I'm fine. I sit up and rub my eyes tiredly.

"I don't get it," Callum mumbles. I turn my head and stare at him, a question in my eyes that begs him to tell me more. Sighing, he continues.

"Well, Moon Fairies are supposed to have power in the emotional and mental planes," he begins. I nod, already knowing this. "So why are nightmares, something that is both mental and emotional, your biggest problem?" At this, I shake my head. I honestly don't know, it's not like I can do anything about them...

"Wait, are you saying that I could possibly... male them go away?" I ask in awe. Callum nods and a feeling of both relief and happiness fills me. I wouldn't have to wake up screaming in the night anymore. I would no longer be haunted.

"How?"

Callum looks at me, and I can almost see the cogs turning in his head as he decides what he's going to say.

"When I was learning how to control my Sun Wizard abilities, I came upon a few websites and books that proved to be very helpful. I could probably look back at them and see if there was a way to teach Moon Fairies how to manipulate the dreamscape," Callum supposes, but I see a glint in his eyes which suggests that he wants something in return from me.

"And I'm betting this doesn't come free?" I ask. Callum bites his lip nervously and nods.

"I would like you to teach me advanced fire magic. Sun Wizards are supposed to be good at it, but, so far, I suck," he admits. He's right, he does suck at it.

"Well then," I say cheerfully, holding his hand out and shaking it. "It appears that we have a deal."