Princess Cynthia

It was a fairly uninteresting day, by my standards. Callum cancelled his lessons and spent the whole day with Cynthia, walking through the gardens, drinking tea on the balcony, and showing her the Palace. I stayed behind them, hidden in the shadows, silently watching, silently protecting Callum from any hidden dangers. Unfortunately, the greatest danger, the one that would hurt him the most, wasn't hidden at all. It sat right next to him.

"Oh Callum, it appears my cup is empty, could you call your servant girl over to fill it up?" Cynthia requests, looking at her empty tea cup. Callum stares at her, because we both know that by servant girl, she means me. Is it just my imagination, or does Callum's jaw tighten at her comment?

"She's not a servant. She's my best friend, and my protector," Callum says coldly. I feel excited butterflies flutter in my stomach. He said I was his best friend (well, apart from Kat, I'm his only friend).

"Same difference. She lives to serve you, doesn't she?" Cynthia asks, either ignoring or not hearing Callum's warning tone.

"Technically. But she doesn't live to serve tea," Callum says. "She's a brave and intelligent warrior, as well as a powerful Sorceress, and she deserves the utmost respect."

Cynthia stares at him, but I notice her eyes drift to glare at me. I give her one of my pointed looks, one that says 'what are you staring at?' It works, Cynthia quickly averts her gaze, pretending that I'm not there anymore.

"Of course she does," is all Cynthia manages to mutter, before refilling her cup.

***

Dinner was an interesting affair. Cynthia was already there when Callum and I walked into the room. We'd been discussing Earthen music, and I'd explained to him how some songs weren't very... appropriate. Anyway, we'd walked into the Dining Room, laughing loudly. Then I saw Cynthia, sitting in my spot at the table, ever the perfect lady. Her golden hair was out and hung loosely over her right shoulder. She wore a rose pink gown tonight, which, like her first gown, had off the shoulder straps. Our laughter died, and instead of sitting next to the Queen, where I usually sat, I chose the spot next to Callum. Well, to be honest, it was only logical. There weren't any other available seats.

For dinner tonight, we had steak. Naturally, I had it rare, which earned me a distasteful look from little Miss Perfect, but I only saw that as a bonus. The Queen seems to sense my dislike towards Cynthia. Our gazes lock for a split second, and, I could've sworn that she gave me an empathetic look. I guess we're both in the same boat. I think Cynthia also saw the shared look between Queen Lilliana and I, because she broke the silence in the room.

"So... you allow servants to eat at the table, King Robert?" she asks. Silence. I grit my teeth, biting down a snappy retort before King Robert replies.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Cynthia smiles knowingly, and I want nothing more than to punch her smug, fragile, little face, and shatter it into a thousand tiny, little, pieces.

"Oh, of course not, Your Majesty. I guess that's why she's still here," Cynthia says. "But I was referring to the dark headed wench sitting next to the Prince."

That's it. I think to myself. This hellish Princess can go back to Solaria, I'll even kick her there free of charge. My hands ball into fists under the table, and I feel myself begin to rise from my seat. In an instant, Callum puts a hand over mine and squeezes it reassuringly, still under the table. I take a few deep breaths to calm myself and show him that I'm ok. He nods and pulls his hand away. Strangely, I miss it. His hand was warm and made me feel safe. Ironic, isn't it? That's how I'm supposed to make him feel. Callum turns to Cynthia, a dark fire burning in his eyes.