Dark Castle

We reappeared in a dark room. I could barely make out a bed in front of me, and a dresser on the other side of the room. A door next to the dresser could be faintly seen by the gold doorknob that seemed to shine dully in the almost complete blackness of the room. Another, just like it, stood tall and and proud from across the room. 

"Welcome to our room," Arran says, a strange happiness edging his voice. I shiver, his arms still wrapped around my waist. 

"I hate you," I breathe rebelliously. "I will never love you. I may be broken, but you? You are a monster!" I shout as I wriggle out of his grasp. I fall to the floor, and before I know it, he's picked me up and thrown me onto his bed. 

"That truly is a shame Ella... for you anyway," he mutters, not caring about my sudden outburst in the slightest. In response, I aim a kick at his side. Before I can strike him, he slides a chain around my ankle. Searing, red hot, pain courses through my body, like a vile disease. "It's a shame that it has to be this way. You see, this chain is enchanted. If you don't do as I say, you'll feel pain. If you try to escape, it'll just stop you. So, you see, there's really no point in trying," he tells me calmly as I scream in pure agony. 

"Please, make it stop. I'll do whatever you want," I plead pathetically. I hate myself for it, but I can't help it. Immediately, the pain stops, leaving my poor aching body to rest. 

"Of course my sweet," he replies. He then pulls me into his lap and kisses me, hard. I try to struggle, but a sharp pain around my ankle reminds me that I'm supposed to be submissive. I won't lie; I hated it. His hands all over me, his lips on mine. He disgusted me. There was no way I could stay like this. No. No matter what, I was getting out of here, even if I had to endure this for a while. Once I was free, it would be worth it. 

There was one flaw in my plan. Once I was free, I would have to lay low for the rest of my life. I wouldn't be able to return to the Palace.... or Callum. Callum, the love of my short life. I've finally admitted it to myself, for, even though he could never be mine, I would forever be his. 

Callum. Goodbye and good luck, my sweet, handsome Prince. I hope you find a beautiful girl who can one day give you everything I never could, and that you grow old with her. Love her as much, if not more, than you ever loved me. 

With that silent vow, I leaned into Arran and deepen the kiss, in which, until now, I hadn't really done anything. With a low moan, Arran kisses me more. My heart beats fast like a galloping racehorse, not because I'm scared, but because if, for just a moment, I imagine that I'm kissing Callum instead of his sick brother Arran, I can forget where I am and who my lips are really kissing. Eventually, we pull away for air. It's hard to tell sometimes, but I think Arran is genuinely happy. The moron probably believes that I truly enjoyed his kisses. Honestly; it only fueled the fire of hatred that was burning up within me. Lifting the covers, Arran slides into bed and pulls me under him, covering my body with his. If ever there was a moment that I was so repulsed I wanted to scream and kick, it was now, but, somehow, I endured his kisses and his nonsensical whispers in my ear. I waited until he fell asleep, and then, ever so slowly, I slip out of his grip and turn my back to him on the opposite side of the bed. I may not be able to make my great escape today, but I can at least have a moment of respite. 

***

There wasn't any light in this unnatural place. 

From glancing at the clock on the wall, I could make out that it was 8 o'clock in the morning, but there wasn't even the slightest bit of sunshine. It was then that I remembered that sunlight never penetrated the North Mountains, or, as it was more commonly known to the other people of Celestia, The Land of Nightmares.

No sunshine. No natural light. Not even the moon graces this forsaken place with its presence. If there was ever a literal definition of Hell on Earth (or Celestia), it was this. 

I feel Arran stir behind me. Hatred and fear ignite within me, but I ignore them.

Just pretend he's Callum, I tell myself.

But he's not! Another part of me protests, and, as much as I need to ignore it, I can't. This monster laying next to me has committed heinous crimes against humanity, murder being only minor in comparison. He may only be the latest leader of the Cursed, but I shudder at the thought of all the things he had to do to get there, and what he does to keep it that way. 

"Good morning beautiful. How'd you end up over there?" He says groggily. He pulls me into his chest. My stomach lurches with revulsion. 

"I must've rolled over in my sleep," I mumble quietly. He seems to find this excuse plausible, as he lets me go and stumbles over to a wardrobe. It's funny how  the dark can turn ordinary objects into scary beasts that hide in the night. The simple wardrobe looms over me, half hidden by shadows, so I can't really tell how big it is. Its sheer size and ominous bulk bring back unfortunate memories from my childhood. Memories of the Big Man and what he did to me. Shivering, I look at Arran as he holds something up to me. It's a dress. 

"I had this made for you my sweet. I thought it would look good on you," Arran explains as he puts the black, silk, material in my hands. I stare at it, holding it up to my face so I can inspect it. 

It's strapless, with lace around the top and bodice. And guess what? It's completely black. 

Callum would've known that I looked better with off the shoulder sleeves. Callum would've known that my favourite colour was green. Scratch that, he did know. 

Stop! I command myself, but it's so hard. Everything reminds me of him, and I can't get him out of my head. 

Remember, you did this for him,I remind myself. That seems to work, but it feels as though there's a hole in my heart, one that Callum used to fill. And now, I'll never see him again. 

Trying desperately to keep the thoughts of Callum out of my head, I walk into the bathroom and change into the beautiful but horrid dress. 

Sorry it's short, but I thought that I'd let you guys know that I went to a boarding school this year. At first I was really scared, but now I'm ok. I can't have my phone most of the time, so I'm writing it on the school laptop and they don't let us stay in the dorms an awful lot. I would also like to dedicate this story to Craftergirl888 for her ongoing support if this book and because she writes really good books.