Wake Up Call

The last thing I remember was drifting off, my vision becoming dark as Callum's hands encircled my waist. I remember thinking that it felt nice, that he felt nice, and I was glad that he was safe. Now, I feel something warm and gentle. It shifts positions from time to time, like now, for instance, it's lying right next to me when it was on top of me not so long ago. Whatever it is, it feels safe, and I can't deny that I like it.

"Ella? Are you awake?" A concerned voice asks. I make an annoyed and tired grunt, but can't quite open my eyes. Someone grabs my shoulders and shakes me gently.

"Ella! Please, just open your eyes!"

"Fine," I grumble, even though lifting my eyelids feels like carrying a hundred kilograms. Bright light fills my vision, and I squint to see a figure in front of me. Callum.

"Ella!" he calls happily, and his arms, which I discover are wrapped around my waist, grip me tightly.

"Are you trying to kill me?" I mumble, but he doesn't stop.

"No, I'm just making sure that I never let you go again," Callum says seriously.

"Thanks, but I can take care of myself," I insist, trying to pry his hands from me. Callum shakes his head and pulls me closer.

"Maybe... but I heard what those guys said back there. Whoever their master is, he wants you pretty badly," Callum reminds me. I shiver involuntarily and let him hold me.

"Callum... can we not mention that to anyone, please?"

Callum looks at me, his hazel eyes completely focused on me. I never realised before just how beautiful they are with their greenish brown light. He gently runs little circles on my neck with his thumb, releasing any tension that remained in my body. I sag against him and enjoy his warmth and his gentle touch. I want to tell him that I love it when he touches me, that if I lost him, I don't know if I could live with myself, but right now, I can't find the words to tell him.

"I won't tell anyone, but you need to be careful. For a moment back there... I thought you'd died, and I- I, I was..." Callum trails off and buries his head in my hair. Tentatively, I wrap my arms around him and pat his back encouragingly.

"You shouldn't worry about me," I whisper, silent tears running down my face. I feel Callum shake his head and something trickles down my back.

He's crying too.

"No, I should, and when I met you, I didn't worry enough. I was cruel to you, and for that, I'm truly sorry," he says to my hair. I gasp and try not to sound like I'm crying, but I fail miserably.

He still hasn't forgiven himself for what he said all those months ago.

"Oh, Callum, that's behind us now. I hardly remember it," I tell him. Callum pulls away from my hair, his fingers entwined in its black strands. He gently places me back on the bed and runs his fingers through my hair. His touch is soothing, and I close my eyes, feeling sleep pull me into its sweet embrace. But I remember something. This room, while familiar... it's not mine.

"Callum... where are we?" I ask, my eyes to heavy to open. Callum takes a long time to answer.

"We're in my room."

My eyes snap open and I sit up straight, taking in my surroundings for the first time. I see the yellow drapes and the marble floor. His bed covers are gold, unlike my green ones, and the scent is... different. It's definitely not lavender, but smells more like cinnamon. Strangely, I like it. It smells sweet and strong and very masculine. I pull Callum closer to me, my movements though firm, aren't forceful, and Callum doesn't try to stop me.