Alone No Longer

"So, I hear from Sir Stephan that you two had an eventful day. Would you care to explain, Ella?" the King inquires stiffly. I almost gulp. Almost, but I won't let myself do something so undignified under the watchful eye of King Robert.

"Yes, it was, but it was my fault. I should have thought it through, but I didn't. I'm sorry, it won't happen again," I say, not just making a promise to the king, but also to myself. What I did today, was by far the stupidest thing I'd ever done in my life, and I didn't plan on repeating it.

"That's good. But it wasn't all bad. I did get a chance to see how you respond to danger, and, I must admit, I'm quite impressed. I think you handled the situation extremely well," King Robert praises me. I nod and say thank you, glowing with pride. Maybe today wasn't so bad after all, though that doesn't mean I'm going to do something like that ever again. I redirect my attention to my meal; roast chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy with steamed vegetables. A typical Emeraldian dish, and one that I quite enjoy, though I do prefer steak.

"How have your lessons been going, Callum?" the Queen asks, as though out of polite curiosity. However, I have a feeling it's a bit more than that. She wants to know how he's been doing since he continued. I steal a glance at Callum. He's sitting with his elbows on the table and his chin resting on his hands.

"Well, I have a lot of work to do, particularly in history. I think I'll go up to the library after dinner and do some study," Callum suggests. His mother and father nod, as though this is normal, but I can tell from the surprise in their eyes that it isn't. I bet Callum has never willingly taken a single step in the library in his entire life. It really wouldn't surprise me.

"Yes, that would be a good idea. However, take Ella. If today has proven anything, it's that you're not safe on your own," King Robert advises. Callum nods, looking almost... happy? Wow, that's a first, but I do have to admit, we've been acting a lot more like friends lately. It's been a nice change.

"Of course," Callum agrees a little to eagerly. Not that it isn't nice or anything, but why would anyone, especially Callum, want to spend time with me? I may never completely understand him.

***

Callum opens the doors to the library. It's to late for anyone but us to be in here, so Callum lights a few candles on a candelabra (he's been practising his fire magic, he doesn't have a problem with flames anymore). I watch as a little candle flame lights the tip of his finger. He brings the little flame over the candle wicks, creating more little flickering fires as he goes. Fire is an interesting element. It can both create and destroy. It can bring warmth and comfort, but also leave death and destruction in its wake, and yet, it can be something as simple and as fragile as a candle flame. Small and innocent, providing a glowing pool of light in the hungry darkness.

When Callum's finished lighting the candles, I take in my surroundings. The desks, bookshelves and chairs are all made of mahogany. The dark wood compliments the richly coloured carpets and lounges. The cushions on the chairs are deep red, blue, and purple velvet. I could be in heaven. The whole room feels warm and comfortable. I can see myself curling up on the couch, reading a novel on a warm summers day. I lean against the end of a bookshelf and close my eyes, inhaling the homely scent of parchment and books. I was wrong. I couldn't be in heaven, I am in heaven.

"Do you like it?" Callum asks. I feel, rather than see his questioning gaze.

"Yes, it's amazing. Though I can't say that I think you spend to much time here," I tease him. He smiles, more to himself than anyone else.

"I think you may be right."

"No, you don't think, you know," I say.

"It doesn't matter. Anyway, where would I find the history books?" He demands. I roll my eyes, his question only further proving that I was right. I scan the library and see that the sections are labelled. Huh, seems easy. I find the history section, but it seems to have a million subsections like; 'Vesuvian History', 'Glacian History', 'Aquarian History,' and 'Solarian History,'.