Dancing and Desire

I stand outside my room. It's exactly 5:59, and, knowing Stephan, he'll be right on time. My hands clutch at the simple, cotton fabric of the dress. I know I said I don't like gowns, but these are different. They're very informal, and light as well as incredibly easy to move in. They're only worn in Summer, but, seeing as it's Spring now, I guess it couldn't hurt to wear one now. My hair, as Callum and Kat decided, is half up, half down. I do have to admit that I look nice, though, that's only my opinion. I wonder if Stephan would like it? I hope he does, but I'm not sure. Anxiously, something in my gut twists. What if Stephan turns up and decides I look terrible? Wait, why do I care what some stupid boy thinks? Ugh! I can't believe this is happening to me. I'm actually developing feelings of the romantic variety for someone. Just as I think that, Stephan walks around the corner and stops in his tracks. I gulp. I should've known he wouldn't like it.

"Stephan," I squeak, acknowledging him. Stephan nods, slightly, still staring at me as though he can't believe his eyes. I sigh, frustrated, angry and annoyed with myself at the same time. "Gee, I knew it was bad, but I didn't think it was that awful," I snap. That gets him out of whatever trance he was in.

"Oh, God, Ella, no. I'm staring at you because you're honestly the most beautiful woman I've ever laid eyes on. You're to lovely for words," he admits, his fingers under my chin, lifting it so he can see my face. I smile shyly, and I see his eyes warm affectionately. He takes my hand in his and leads me out of the castle. We walk through the marble halls and out the servants entrance. He then leads me down the hill the castle sits on and into the village near it. Already I can hear the voices of large groups of people milling about in wide, slightly damp, dirt streets. A large, faded yellow tent is set up near the woods on the outskirts of town. Lanterns float in mid- air, lighting the way, guiding the hopeful dancers of the night to their destination. I marvel at the simple beauty of the tent, the lanterns, the greying sky, the fairy light- like stars and the... and the waxing moon. It's stupid, believe me, I know, but ever since I first changed, I've both feared and hated the moon, especially when it's full. In five more days, I'll hole myself up in the bathroom, lock the door, and turn into a glowing, silver creature with wings. It doesn't sound all that bad, but I fear it. Many people do. The Moon Fay, Sun Wizards and Stars, are regarded with a mixture of awe and fear by other Spellbinders. If I revealed myself to anyone else, I'd be forced to move to Lunaria, the realm of moon, and learn about my powers. Maybe if I wasn't so strongly attached to my home, to Kat, to Leo, and, now, Callum, I wouldn't mind. But I do, and I don't want to leave. Emerald is my home, and I wouldn't leave it to spend all my time in a place where it's always night and the the only company I have are 500 year old Moon Fairies (no exaggeration; Moon Fairies are immortal).

Stephan leads me into the tent, pulling me out of my thoughts. His eyes slowly travel down my body, making me want to shiver, even though the air is warm and dry. Callum's warning is ringing in my ears, and I suddenly wished I'd listened to him. Then, as quickly as he'd started staring, he looked away. I told myself to relax, that he wasn't going to do anything to me, but I didn't know how true that was anymore. I just hoped I wouldn't find out.

***

"Come on, Ella!" Stephan calls to me. He twirls me around, guiding me on the dance floor. The lively jig music plays in the background, a fiddler, guitarist and a drummer playing the bodhrán lead the dancers into the night. They play all the old favourites like the Swallowtail jig, the Masons Apron, the Irish Washerwoman, Teir Abhaile Riú and Nil S'en La, but my personal favourite was Drowsy Maggie.

I laugh at Stephan as he pulls me back into his arms and slips his hands around my waist. The song ends, and all the dancers either switch partners, talk to their partners, or disappear to the side of the room. Stephan takes my hand in his, and, at first, I think we're dancing again, but instead, Stephan pulls me away from the tent and back into town. I guess it's time to go home, though, I have to admit, I don't want to. I had a good time, in fact, it was the most fun I've had in ages.