Brush With Death

I felt the morning light behind my still closed eyelids. It was slightly golden in the pitch blackness between sleep and awake. My senses were dulled, still in dreamland, but my mind tugged towards the light, wanting to see what the new day would bring. My body was in agreement with my senses, the heavy warmth of sleep wrapped around my still limbs ensured that, but my mind told me it was unnaturally warm, and that there was something I should see. Carefully, I heaved my eyelids open, and at first, I registered nothing, not even the broad, bare chest that my forehead rested against.

"Oh my... What in Celestia Callum?" I shriek, pushing him off me. Callum's sleepy body was flipped backwards, now leaning against the side of the tent in a groggy state. He groans tiredly, his eyes peeping open for a split second before being pulled back to a quickly fading dream. I pull the covers away and march over to him, mustering my breath before screaming in his ear. That did the trick.

"What, Ella?" He mumbles sleepily. I glare at him for a full five seconds before deciding that he really doesn't know.

"I could ask the same of you, sleeping on top of me like that," I hiss. Callum bites his lip, his cheeks turning pink.

"Oh yeah... that. Look, I was cold and lonely, and you looked so... inviting," Callum stumbles through pathetically. I raise a skeptical eyebrow and shake my head in frustration.

Let it go Ella, let it go, I tell myself. There's no point in staying angry with him, and while I don't completely believe his excuses, I'll let it slide just this once. Turning to the tent entrance, I crawl out and bask in the pale morning light. It never occurs to people how fragile the morning is. It always smells so fresh and new, like the old day was replaced with a brand new one. Unfortunately, the reminders of a bad day aren't so easy to get rid of.

"Ella... I really am sorry for scaring you. I- I just... I really was lonely," Callum continues, probably bewildered by my dismissive attitude. I turn around and my nose almost smacks into his still bare chest. Backing away, I look Callum in the eye.

"It's ok, I just need some space," I explain putting my hands up defensively. Callum nods and hesitantly gets back in the tent. He turns to glance at me one more time, but quickly turns away.

***

I stomp through the woods, not really looking where I was going. It didn't worry me, I could use my magic or my tracking skills to find my way back. What was worrying me, was the fact that I was frustrated I hadn't taken in the details of Callum's broad and well muscled chest. I tried to ignore it, but, for some reason, my thoughts couldn't forget his smooth, toned skin. I wanted to touch him, and hear him sigh as I traced the outline of his muscles. But, more than anything in the world, I yearned for his touch. The thought both terrified and excited me.

I was so caught up in my own confused thoughts, that I didn't see the root. Suddenly, I was on the ground, tumbling onto my back. I pick myself up and dust my clothes off, but something warm and sticky clung to the clothes on my back. I stared at the place where I'd fallen, noticing the sharp rocks that protruded from the ground. On top of them, was a small amount of crimson liquid. Shoot.

I quickly put my hand on my back and felt the blood. The cut didn't hurt at all, though, nothing on my back does anymore, not since I was six. Maybe it's because I just couldn't handle the pain, so it became numb. Either way, only something really deep actually hurts my back. Only something that would scar.

I turn around and walk back the way I'd come. The forest opens up to the clearing in no time. It's different to when I woke up. What once had been a quiet and peaceful space, was now a hustling, bustling, camp. I smile at the familiarity of it. I used to spend a lot of my time in camps, particularly secret war camps devoted to bringing down the Cursed or stopping their latest evil plan. It feels so long ago now, to long. I haven't seen Leo in ages, not since I'd left.