Chapter Eight

(Luca's Pov)

"You have a pretty voice." My cheeks heated up and I felt confused. I have a pretty voice? My voice is horrible! You can barley understand me with my stutter. Riley got up and moved to the front of the room. He got his phone out and started listening to music. I sighed and looked at the desk. Was he insulting me? Was he saying I had a girl voice? I mean yeah, I don't have the most masculine voice but I haven't hit puberty yet. Okay. . .that's really embarrassing. I'm thirteen and in the eighth grade yet I haven't even hit puberty. Some people in my class already have facial hair! Let's get off this embarrassing topic. I sighed again and the bell rang. I got up and went to my next class. I walked into science and sat down at my desk. The teacher started to tell us about atoms and cells.

I walked out of gym and started walking towards lunch. When I got my lunch, which was grapes and apple juice, I walked to my table and sat down. I suddenly felt extremely lonely. I'm the only person in the lunch room who isn't sitting with anybody. Maybe I made a mistake? Should I apologize to him? I sighed and took a bite out of one of my grapes. I opened my apple juice and was about to take a sip of it when three trays slammed down on the table. I jumped and looked up to see Jeffree, Cameron, and Danny. Uh oh. . . "So, Stutter boy. Thought you could skip out on a beating, huh? You didn't come to your locker today. Why is that?" Jeffree said.

"I-I-I-" He cut me off by laughing.

"That's hilarious! You can't even say one word without you messing up!" I bit my lip and looked at the table. Since I wasn't looking Cameron came up behind me and slammed my head on the table. I cried out in pain and felt tears sting my eyes. Where is a teacher when you need one?! The whole lunch room was looking at us now. Some were laughing and others just smiled. I looked around and my eyes landed on Riley's table. He had an angry look on his face and whispered something to his friends. They all looked up at me and I quickly looked away. Jeffree was still laughing and Danny smirked. He took my apple juice and poured it over my head. That's when the tears spilled over. I wasn't sobbing or making noise, I was just silently crying. I got up and was about to run out of the cafeteria when I ran into someone. I looked up and saw this football player with curly brown hair. My eyes widened and I started to scoot back, trying to get away from him.

Riley came up beside him and said, "Don't worry, he's here to help you."

I just stared at them and then the football player walked over to Jeffree, Cameron, and Danny and said, "If you ever do that shit to him again, I'll hurt you so bad that you'll need to go to the hospital. I'm tired of the shit you do to people." They all nodded and got up and ran away. I looked up at Riley and he put his hand out for me to take. I surprised myself by taking it.

He helped me up and said, "I'm sorry for bothering you, I just couldn't stand to see you get hurt." My eyes widened and I shook my head no rapidly.

"N-no! D-don't a-apoligize, I should b-be saying s-sorry," I said and looked at the ground and shuffled my feet. "I-I misjudged y-you."

"So, do you want to be friends?" I nodded and gave him a small smile.

I jumped when the football player said, "You should get to the nurse. They'll probably make you change into new clothes and shower."

I nodded and Riley said, "This is Chester."

I nodded to him and said, "I-I'm L-luca."

He smiled and said, "I'll walk you to the nurse, Riley go back to eating. You haven't eaten anything all day." Riley nodded and went back to his table. Chester put his hand on my shoulder and guided me out the cafeteria doors.

"Th-thank y-you," I said. He shrugged and smiled at me.

"It's no problem, you seem like a nice kid."