Chapter Fifty-One

(Luca's Pov)

I woke up to Storm's phone ringing. It's pretty loud. I looked at the clock and saw it's six in the morning. I yawned and Storm walked into my room saying, "School's closed. You can go back to sleep."

"O-Okay," I said and rolled over. I shut my eyes and fell asleep.

"WILL YOU SHUT UP! NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR YOU'RE HORRIBLE VOICE TRYING TO SING!" Uncle Darwin said. I shut my mouth and bit my lip.

"I-Is it th-that bad?" I whispered under my breath. I guess Uncle Darwin still heard it, though.

"It's horrible! It's like a dying moose trying to sing!" he said. I sniffled and looked down at my feel. "Awe, is the poor baby going to cry? All because he can't sing and I'm telling the truth?"

"P-Please stop," I begged.

"YOU DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!" he screamed and backhanded me across the face. I cried out in pain as I fell onto the floor. He kicked my back and stomach as I laid on the ground screaming. I guess he got bored because he stepped over me, grabbed a beer, and then went back into the living room. I just laid on the ground, wondering what I did to deserve this.

I woke up with tears running down my face. I pulled up my shirt and looked at my scarred stomach. I can feel the painful bruises I used to have. It's like they're still there, but it's all in my head.

This shouldn't bother me. My uncle's gone. He's not coming back. I just started feeling good about myself, why must this ruin it? I hate my mind! It never lets me be happy! It always has to torture me!

I don't think I can do this. I don't think I can sing about anything that relates to me in front of my class. If I do, they'll know. Maybe we can do a song about Riley? Or just lie and do a happy song. I'll sing. Just not anything about me. 

I got up and got dressed in some jeans, a black hoodie, and my converses. I walked downstairs and saw Storm on the couch doing something on his laptop. "C-Can I g-g-go to Riley's?" I asked. 

"Yes, just be careful. It's icy outside," he said. 

"O-Okay," I said and walked outside and started my way to Riley's.

(Riley's POV)

"GO TO HELL!" I heard mom scream. 

"ME?! YOU'RE THE ONE WHO NEEDS TO!" dad yelled back. I walked outside onto the front porch and slammed the front door shut. I sat down on the bench and put my face in my hands. 

"Why?" I whispered. My parents are fighting again. They have been for the last couple of days. They're acting as if they hate each other. Mom's accusing dad of cheating again since dad is calling out mom for spending all the money. It's so stupid. Why can't they just get along? 

"R-Riley?" I looked up and saw Luca in front of me. 

"Oh, h-hey, Luca. What are you doing here?" I asked, trying to sound fine.

"Wh-What's wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing, I'm fine," I lied.

"Y-You're c-c-crying," he said and I sighed.

"My parents are starting to fight again. They won't stop."

"R-Riley. . .I'm s-s-sorry," he said.

"Luca, I'm scared. I don't want them to hate each other. They're supposed to love each other."

"I-I unders-stand."

"Would if they get a divorce?" I asked and started crying again. Luca pulled me into a hug and I cried into his shoulder.