2. The invitation

A few days later, my father finally gave me the news: we were going to travel through the Athlantic. I was so excited! It was the first time I got to go somewhere else that the house or the garden or some ball. I couldn't wait to see the ship we were travelling on. However, we were still a week away from going to town and getting on the ship. I couldn't wait that long!

- Please, father, take me to see the ship- I asked him.

- I'm busy righy now, I don't have the time for that. There is much to be done before the journey, darling, please understand.

- What if someone else takes me?

- You mean Derek?

- Well, I thought maybe...

- Go see if he is able to, then we will decide- he accepted.

I ran towards the kitchen, knowing that he would be there. He spent most of the day at my house and because he didn't have time to have breakfast at home, he had it at our kitchen. The maid usually gave him a nice meal, fact that made me wonder sometimes if she liked him as much as I did. That made me kind of jealous in a childish way.

- Derek! Derek! I mean, Sir Derek...

- Why, good morning, Miss. No need to be so polite with me, it makes you so distant... Derek, if you please. What can I do for you?

- Would you take me down town, please? I want to see the port.

- And skip practice?- Derek hesitated.

- It's just for today, I promise I will practice double tomorrow, but please take me- I asked him joining my hands together.

- Okay, but you will do me a favor instead.

- Anything you like- I smiled.

- First let me finish my breakfast. Go get yourself ready, in ten minutes we part.

- Ten minutes?- I widdened my eyes.

- You better run for I won't wait a single second over ten minutes.

I ran up stairs to my room and got ready. Maybe it took me more than just ten minutes... When I came down I realised he was already on his way out. I bearly reached him. He sure kept his word. After ten minutes he started walking towards the main gates that got us out of the garden to the outside world.

The town was full of people and everyone seemed so busy. Fearing that I might get lost, Derek held my hand. I blushed, for I was not used to men's physical contact. Hey, I was only 12 going for 13, even though I was already engaged, the only man I really ever liked was my teacher, and that was because there was no one else around closer to my age. Derek was 16 but he could teach very well despite his age, he was the best at it, as I already said.

I admired him after all, I wouldn't think otherways.

Sometimes I wondered if I was just his pupil or if he was actually interested in me. But that wasn't possible, I must have looked like a child to him. Dreaming was free though, so I often imagined that he would come and take me away just before getting married with some stranger my father chose for economic and social interest.

As I was saying, there was a lot of fuss in town and especially at the harbour, as we found out when we got there. It seemed that something big was going on. My eyes were attracted by an enormous beautiful ship. It had three masts and its sails were tied up. Many sailors were getting on and off the ship carrying boxes, barrels, ropes, etc.

- That's the "Mighty Tide". It truly looks mighty, doesn't it?

It truly did. It was impressive and the name seemed to suit it very well. My beloved teacher explained to me that was the ship I would travel on. A man passed by and Derek went to ask him about the commotion. I let go of his hand and he didn't even noticed, so I went to explore a little and to take a closer look of the ships and boats there.

There was a ship in the distance that wasn't moving from its place, maybe it was waiting for someone.

- What do you think of that boat?- a manly voice asked.

I turned and saw a man in fine clothes and a nice hat. He looked like an important man if not a noble. Maybe even the captain of a ship. He was kind of young, but he looked experienced.

- With all due respect, Sir, it's not a boat, but a beautiful ship. I wish I could see it from a closer view. I'm pretty impressed about the "Mighty Tide", but that one over there-I pointed at a ship in the distance- looks interesting and fast too.

- If you want to see it I can take you- he offered.

- Thank you, but right now is not a good time. Maybe next time.

- Sure, next time- he grinned-. Nice to meet you, Missie- he did a short bow and kissed my hand-. I'm glad someone like you recognises the might of my ship, so I shall give you a tour around it next time.

- Your ship? So you, Sir, are the captain?

- Aye.

- Why doesn't it come to port?

- It's not necessary. We aren't making a long stop. I just had to do a little something here and it's off to sea again.

Derek came looking for me and when he saw me talking to the young captain frowned, holding my hand again, and again I blushed.

- If you'll excuse us, we have to get going.

I waved to the young captain and looked again at the road before me.

- Don't talk to strangers, and it's dangerous to walk around like that on a harbour, anything could happen.

Derek seemed pretty upset.

- What's the matter?

- I heard rumors about... Pirates. So stay close to me, I don't want you to get out of my sight.

Pirates...

- But I've been training to fight them.

- In case of need, I remind you. Don't go looking for trouble- he scolded me.

I felt ashamed. It really hurts to get told off by the person you admire. But I knew he was right, as always.

- Who was that man anyway?- he changed the subject.

- He's a captain, he will be here for a short time so his ship is waiting for him half a mile from here. He also invited me to see his ship. But of course I couldn't accept.

- You did well. If the ship was waiting for his return, the ship would have set sail the moment he got aboard. You wouldn't think they would get you back, right?

- Right...

- You saw the ship, we can go home now. It's time for lunch.

- Already? But we just got here- I replied-. This is my first time in town...

- We can't stay. Unless...

- Unless?- I looked at him, expectantly.

- I know a place where we can have lunch. My house.

I was surprised, but I accepted. I wanted to see where normal people lived. We arrived at a neighbourhood were houses had small gardens on the front. He entered one of them and I followed him. There was a beautiful girl watering the flowers and I couldn't help wandering if they were relatives or not. What if he had a girlfriend already? I never asked him so I didn't actually know.

- This is Alice, we are together- he explained.

I heard something break inside of me as he was telling me those words holding her hand. But of course he would have a girlfriend... I tried to smile and went to have lunch with them inside, congratulating Derek for finding such a fine lady.

After all, I too was engaged and there was nothing I could do about it.

Please vote or comment! It would make Jasy happy.

*Bowing like a little miss*