3.3. Words of gratitude

It had been several days, but I heard nothing about Derek. Rony used to come and give me food and water, then I'd ask if there were any news. One night it had become chilly, but I fell asleep anyways. The next morning, I woke up with a blanket on my shoulders and Rony was opening the door, just entering with my breakfast.

- Why are you taking care of me if you want revenge?

- I wonder that too. I guess it's because you did the same for me. I don't like feeling in debt with someone.

I couldn't help but smile. He wasn't a very kind person, but he had his good side, at least he wasn't as ungrateful as I thought.

- Thank you.

- You shouldn't be thanking me, I killed your husband and I'm about to do the same to your beloved Derek, I kidnapped you and I'm keeping you here as my prisoner, how can you thank me?

- Because your revenge has nothing to do with me, but yet you are being more considerate towards me than you would have in a normal kidnapping situation.

He didn't answer. Maybe he knew I was trying to see the good side. I couldn't hate him, I got fond of him as the rest of my crew and I understood the reasons for his revenge, it was mainly because of his family. Also, I had put all my hate in Derek so there wasn't much left for him even after knowing that when Edward and Derek fought, it was Rony's arrow who made Edward fall from the cliff. But I still hated Derek's reaction to it. He moved on as if nothing happened even though it was his brother.

I could understand Rony not having any bond with Edward and being able to take revenge, he even spared me because of the time we spent together, but Derek... I just couldn't forgive him. For as long as he would keep chasing after me as if he was just waiting for Edward to disappear I would not stop hating him. Even though I felt something deep down, I still hated his attitude.

- Miss, could you promise me not to escape if I let you have a room?

- Why would you do that?

- I don't know, just answer before I change my mind.

- I... guess...

I was confused, it was indeed a chance to run away, but where to? Actually, that was supposed to be my home since I found the treasure, the county should have had my name on it, I was supposed to own that place, not him and his family. I decided to stay because it was where I belonged and in the mean time, I'd find a way to make it mine.

- Actually, you are inviting me to where I should have stayed in the first place. I am a prisoner in my own home. So if you want an answer, yes, I promise to stay, why would I leave my home?

- That's a way to put it. Well, you better not let anyone know you are alive and staying here, are we clear?

- Crystal.

I turned my face the other way, proudly and somewhat offended by his tone. He used to be under my orders and I did not like one single bit the way he was adressing to me. But I wouldn't complain out loud. The time would come when I would get back his respect even if it was for the last time. Until then, I would try not to get emotionally involved with any of them. Rony led me to my new room and told me a servant would bring me anything I needed. In other words: leaving the room was out of the question.

- Thank you- I said without looking at him before he left the room.

Rony saw me looking at the window, sitting there. It was almost every time he entered that he saw me like that. One day, he decided to sit with me.

- You keep coming to check on me, I told you I won't leave.

- Jasely, you know that is not the reason I come.

I looked at him in the eye for the first time in weeks. He had a cold gaze, but somewhere in those eyes I saw a speck of concern.

- So why do you come? It's not like you care about me- I said with a sad voice.

- It's true that I don't show it the same way as you did with the rest of the crew, but that doesn't mean I don't care.

- Caring is something you show or else it will remain hidden and it won't reach anyone.

I looked away again, directing my gaze towards the window. No matter how much I looked, I knew I wouldn't see Derek come through the front door, meeting his destiny. I didn't even know why I was expecting him to show up, it was not like I was looking forward to it, was I?

- Jasely, my family wants to meet you, I just wanted to let you know that.

- Oh, great, so I can get more hate.

- It's not like that.

- I'll see them one at a time or else I will not speak or listen to any of them.

- I think that won't be a problem. Leave it to me.

- Why do they want to meet me?- I sighed.

- I'm thinking maybe they want to give you a chance before deciding what to do with you.

- That's reasuring- I said with irony.

- Just... try.

- Whatever.

Rony sighed and left the room. I didn't exactly expect Derek to show up, but deep down I hoped he was at least worried, that he noticed I was gone and come for me. I could not imagine him never coming either. I could try to escape but I did not want to. If someone had to leave, it was them. There had to be a way, surely my destiny was not to be a prisoner forever.

The next day, Edward's former fiance came to talk to me. I remained by the window and she stood up, not far from me.

- Good afternoon, Miss Jasely.

- Emerald. I wish I could take you on a walk with me, but apparently no one can know about you.

- It is just as you heard.

- Jasely, I don't hate you. Actually, I wanted to thank you.

That was unexpected for me, I looked at her, wondering what did she know.

- It was not your fault you were sold to be Edward's fiance and you even left at your own wedding, letting me have him even though you loved him, just so that we could be happy. I also heard you saved my younger sister and my cousin from the pirates that had kidnapped them, resulting in trouble for you. And I also know how well you treated my brother, Rony. I cannot thank you enough. I'm sorry my brother took the revenge so seriously, I had no way to stop him. It was my parents who decided not to let them get away, but they decided to go easy on you because you were kind to us, even though they won't change their mind about not letting you have any of the brothers while we were there first. It's a matter of pride. I appologise for the inconviniences they have caused you, it was nothing personal.

After hearing her explanation, tears started falling down my cheeks. I understood, but it hurt. I was a bit happy someone knew about the good things I did and thanked me. Emerald came closer and asked to comfort me. I let her and she embraced me and stroked my hair.

- It's not fair, I found the treasure, I looked for it for so long, all for Edward... it was something we did together and I wanted to make our wish come true even after he died. Now you all took away everything I worked for, lived for, wished for...

- I wish there was something I could do for you in return- Emerald said in a sad voice.

- Please, let Derek live. He's all I have left. Even my father passed away a few years ago. I have no relatives left...- I kept crying.

- I'm not sure I can help you with that... but maybe if my parents get to like you there might be a slight chance.

She said it in a way that seemed hopeless. Her parents didn't feel like the kind of people you could negociate with. Besides, what did I have to offer? But soon, I found out. And I did not like it one bit.