4. Fight for life

Calm sea, no wind. It was certainly not a good sign. No seagulls either. It was so quiet you could hear your own breath. But it was not to last long, for a voice screamed high and loud: "Man over board!"

He was not one of us, but he seemed to need our help. While every single passanger and man of the crew went to watch the rescuing, I turned around and went to the other side of the ship. Somewhere, there was something watching us, I could feel it.

Then I saw some dolphins jumping in the water towards us at high speed, almost like scared. It was the first time I saw dolphins so I was too excited to realize right away the reason why they were in such a hurry. But when they were far enough, I looked back. There was a ship where before was just sea. Where did it come from and how did it reach us so fast was the question that I was never answered.

I looked for a flag, but there was only a dark one and I hadn't studied any country with that flag so at first I didn't realise what it truly meant. I looked better at it as it went closer and I figured out what that meant.

I went to tell everyone but no one listened to me, they were too concentrated saving the man, which turned out not to be as helpless as it appeard. Even if no one came or listened I would still not sit there doing nothing. So I went down looking for swords, knives and guns.

The ship was so big there was no way of finding them. Finally, I thought of the captain's room. Above, there was a lot of comotion but I had no time to stop. We were under attack. There was no way of defending ourselves, the "Mighty Tide" was not built for battling. And so, everyone panicked.

Eventually, I entered the captain's room. It was difficult to get there with all that comotion and cannon fire from the other ship. Soon, the ship was to be taken by pirates and sink into the dark depths of the ocean.

After much looking I got to the conclusion that it wasn't there. "How strange "I thought, " I'm sure the captain didn't take it".

- Are you looking for this, Missie?

I froze.

How was I supposed to react to a pirate's voice whom I was alone in a room with?

- Are you the man they rescued?- I realised, turning around.

- Right.

- All part of the plan, I suppose.

- Right again- he smirked, coming closer.

- You ARE leaving survivors, right?- I tried to keep calm.

- Wrong- he answered and with that final word he lunged at me trying to reach me with the sword.

I jumped backwards, dodging his futile attempts, I was faster and already knew how to play that game, so I was at an advantage. He dropped the sword, confusing me and he took the opportunity to lunge at me and pull me down. I stretched out an arm, trying to reach the sword. He tried to tie me up but I grabbed the sword and hit his head with its hilt. It worked, he was left unconcious.

I went to open the door without thinking, and what I saw was a deck full of pirates taking whatever they wanted from the people and then killing them. There were dead bare bodies all over the floor. It caused me shivers, that was more than I could take, not to mention it was the first time I saw bare bodies...men bodies...flooded in blood. The deck was red anywhere I looked.

For the first time I actually saw what really happened when you met a pirate. I couldn't say they were barbaric, because their sword style was quite awesome, almost like Derek's, as if they were nobles practicing to become knights. And who knows, maybe so.

One of them noticed me after finishing the last person off and screamed as loud as he could to warn about my presence. I was terrified, simply terrified. As they came towards me I realised I suddenly forgot everything about sword fight and didn't know how to react.

Every single thing I learned was gone. My mind was completely blank.

- Hello Missie, you'll have to excuse us for being rude, but we have orders to show no quarter- one of them said lifting his sword.

- The ship will sink anyway, why would you care anymore?- I replied gathering strengh to keep my mouth going although my heart was pounding so fast it was going to stop any minute then from overdoing itself.

- Sorry, orders are orders- a sad smile crept to his lips-. It's a shame to kill such a fine young lady like you, though.

I looked for a way to escape, but I was sorrounded by pirates that formed a circle around me and beyond that, fire and the sea.

No escaping.

I could see my life ending before my eyes. But I wouldn't give up without a fight. I had to give it all. And all I had right then was my sword. Time to wake up and practice what I learned. I frowned as I held the arm of the sword tightly.

- I could challenge any of you to a duel- I dared.

- A duel?- they laughed-. Sounds fun, but who will it be?

- I will do- one said, grabbing his sword.

It started. He was obviously underestimating me, because after a few moves, I made his sword fly meters away. They were all impresed, they even clapped.

- Alright, fun is over, we have to return- a newcomer announced.

- I want to challenge her as well- one of them whined followed by other voices that agreed with him.

- Whatever, just bring her over and have fun, then we can make her walk the plank. Is that okay with you?- the newcomer suggested having everyone nodding.

I sighed as I was taken to their ship, there was no other option and I knew it. I was to live for another five to ten minutes at the most. I gave it all I had in those fights. After all, my life was depending on it. I managed to beat them all, which made them gain more interest in me. I wasn't sure that was a good thing. Finally, they looked at each other and then one went to go look for the captain. We awaited his return anxiously. He came out of the captain's cabin wearing a poker face.

- Here's what the captain has decided: he will let the girl live if she defeats you-know-who.

- Okay, I admit now that this is your end, Missie.

- Nice fighting with you.

- Yeah, he is impossible to defeat, such a shame this is ending so soon.

I started to think they didn't mind having me around, maybe as a toy, a pet or an entertainment, whatever it was, it worked for me. However, it seemed to reach its end.

- You will fight him- one pirate said pointing to a young man that was heading towards us-. You win, you live, he wins, he decides your fate.

I took a better look at him. He seemed familiar. And then, I realised who he was and that my defeat was asured. I would never get to win against the best of the best:

My own teacher.

Please vote! Thanks.

*Bowing like a pirate ;)*