2.7. Brother's conflict

The man facing Derek turned around and looked at us. Derek and I turned pale. It was too late. Worst timing ever. He had found out. And to think those two girls would bring so much trouble...

- So it was you, Derek. It was all you... First killing my fioncé and then yours and burnt the house so that it would look as if you were killed by someone else and keep me away from home in a wild goose chase. Why did you do this to me?

Edward was there. The ship that looked familiar to me, it was the ship I had been kidnapped on. And it seemed Edward survived and even got the crew on his side. He gained a ship. Incredible.

- I had a girlfriend at that time, but I was engaged to Jaselly. I knew if you were single again you could marry her instead- Derek said.

- And then you fell in love with her and want her back. Well you should have thought of it before, I won't allow you to have things your way again!- Edward took his sword out-. You have gone too far. I will never forgive you.

Everyone in the room looked at them very interested. They even started making bets on who would win. I was worried. Derek took his sword out as well.

- Please don't do this- I asked them-. None of you will have me no matter who wins. I will personally take his sword and kill myself.

They stopped and looked at me.

- This is between us- Derek said-. Don't interfere. Besides, you promised to be mine, so if I win, you have no right to kill yourself.

- But if you lose I do. You don't want that, do you, Edward?- I looked at him-. No matter what you do, you will lose, your life, your brother or me.

- There is only one way I will leave Derek alone- Edward said-. I might even forgive the both of you, him for killing Eve and hoping I would get killed on my way to get revenge, and you for leaving me there and cheating on me.

- Name it.

- Be mine.

- I won't let you! She's mine- Derek said, attacking-. She can only be mine, her heart belongs to me, you will never have it!

- You don't deserve her, you didn't want her in the first place!- Edward answered both with word and sword.

I couldn't even argue, they were both right. I looked at the fight until finally Edward managed to throw Derek's sword away and was about to hit him but I ran and held his hands.

- Please don't kill him- I cried-. I'll go with you.

- Jasy, I'm sorry, I lost...- Derek said, falling on his knees.

- We go now- Edward said.

- Please, let me say goodbye- I pleaded.

Edward gave me two minutes and left. I took Derek to a place more private.

- Derek... I won't stop waiting for you until I die- I told him-. Just promise me you won't try to kill him again.

- I lost... this time. I'm not giving up on you. I owe you that much. I thought I was finished. But I'm not, and as long as I live I won't rest until you're mine. You saved me, so I will save you. I'll try to come back before next season, but maybe it will take two seasons. It won't be more than a year, I asked you to wait for me for two years, so I have to come back before that time is over.

- I'll do what I can to wait.

Derek embraced me.

- There is still a chance he's getting his fioncé back.

- What??- I was confused.

- If my men followed orders correctly. You see, I told them to attach a rope to an end of a boat just below so they could pull her back once Edward was convinced she was gone. I haven't heard from them since so I have no idea if she survived or not. She could be dead. But she could have survived too. I will go look for her and bring her back. It will make things right.

- And what about your fioncé? Did you really kill her?

- Yes, but it was an accident. Self defence. And I used her death to fake mine too.

- Self defence?

- She knew about me and tried to get rid of me, I tried to stop her but it ended up with her death. I pushed her away and she hit her head against the corner of the table and died instantly.

I realised he wasn't as evil as I thought when I first heard about what he did. He did mention he had made a mistake, but only then I knew it really had been a mistake. I hugged him tightly. I was wrong about him. But still my heart couldn't stop beating for him. Maybe my heart was smarter than my head.

-What about the girls?- I asked.

-I'll take care of them and will explain properly.

We kissed and I was going to leave, but then I turned back and ran to him, kissing him again and again. It was never enough. He held me in his arms as he kissed me back. Eventually I had to say goodbye and went to the boat where Edward was waiting for me. He knew, but he said nothing. He just rowed towards the ship. All I could think about was Derek. I just hoped he would be okay when he took the girls back to their parents. The sisters of the two brothers' former fioncés. That night must have been the worst of our lives. And it didn't get better for a very long time. I kept waiting for Derek's return and asked Edward not to go back on his word and give me one year to know each other. But months passed by and there was no sign of Derek. I started to fear I would give in to Edward. He was a gentleman. And romantic. And kind. And really handsome. I didn't know for how much longer I would be able to resist his charm.