3.6. Memories

That night, I fell asleep on the sofa with my wedding dress still on. I didn't have much to wear. I had a couple dresses and my captain uniform in my former room's closet. I wished to go to my room and get changed, but a servant told me not to, Derek's room was right next to mine and he had left his door open just in case. The servant was the one to cheer me up before the wedding, telling me it was going to be alright. He was actually one of Derek's men sent there to take care of me until he arrived. Before nightfall I got to see him again and talked to him.

- What is your name?- I asked.

- Peter, my lady.

- Thank you for everything, Peter- I smiled.

- With all due respect, my lady, it is Derek who deserves your gratitude, not me.

- I know but... I can't...

- I hope you find it in your heart to tell him the truth some day. For that reason only, I have refrained myself from reporting to my lord how much you longed for his return.

- Thank you, Peter, I appreciate it. Your effort will not be in vain, but I need some time.

- I just hope my lord doesn't close his heart by the time you make a decision. If you'll excuse me, I shall return to my room.

- Yes, do. Rest assured, I will think about it.

- Have a good night, my lady.

It wasn't a very good night, at first I felt cold and I had nightmares. But at one point, for some reason I felt warm and slept better. My nightmare, about an arranged marriage with a hideous being, became a dream about the usual sword fight on the decks. When I woke up, I noticed there was a soft blanket covering me and I hid my head underneath.

- It's time to wake up, sleeping beauty- I heard a voice.

- No.

- Oh really?

Derek sat on the edge of the sofa and leaned towards my head, uncovering it enough to let him whisper into my ear:

- Then you can continue sleeping with me.

- What?- I got up in a second and saw him have an amused look on his face.

- Indeed, it worked- he laughed.

- Why do you care if I wake up or not?

- As beautiful as you may look in your wedding dress, if it's not for me, I'd rather have you get changed.

I blushed slightly at the compliment, but I realised he was just being jealous. I sat properly and tried to fix my hair. A servant came to take me to my room to get changed and cleaned. Afterwards, I went to the dining room to see Derek.

- You may not sit- he said-. Not until you have some manners.

- What do you mean? What do you want me to do?

- Appologize, of course, and thank me.

I crossed my arms and looked away.

- Suit yourself. Peter.

- Yes, my lord.

- Later feed her only the basics for surviving.

- Feed?- I felt offended.

He glared at me and I remained silent. I turned around to leave, but he told me to sit next to him, to talk. 

- You just want to torture me by making me watch you eat this delicious food while you won't even let me taste it. 

- Who knows, if you kept quiet and listened to me for once instead of complaining, I might let you have a bite. 

- This reminds me of that time when you said I would have to skip a meal for getting in trouble by rescuing those girls... But in the end you gave me some of your own food- I started with a nostalgic look in my eyes, but I eventually smiled.

We shared a moment of silence, looking into each other's eyes.

- You were already giving me trouble back then- he smiled and held my hand on the table.

- And you were already severe but thoughtful...- I blushed, starting to realise I was letting myself get carried away by the moment.

- Why can't we be like this more often?- he said, stroking my hand while giving me shivers.

I said nothing. I just kept looking at him, wondering if I should let my guard down. Meanwhile he got closer and before I realised his lips were softly brushing against mine. I closed my eyes and stopped thinking. Derek saw his chance and made me sit on his lap to continue kissing me. I knew he had questions, but he didn't want to let that opportunity go to waste and ruin the moment. I was grateful for that, since I did not wish to give any explanations. Not yet.

A while later, he let me eat from his plate, still sitted on his lap. I felt as if I was being taken care of like a child or maybe a pet. I left my pride aside and simply enjoyed him being nice to me and tried to not to overthink it. I could go back to my pride in the next argument.

- I like it when you give in to me and stop fighting me for a while, it's nice to just be with you and not argue.

- Are you saying the only way to stop arguing is that I give in?- I crossed my arms and tried to stand up, but he held my waist and kept me there.

- No, I let you go many times before, and I will probably need to keep doing it in the future. That is why I like it when it's your turn- he winked at me.

I looked away, blushing. He caressed my cheek to let me know he noticed.

- I'm still not comfortable with the marriage you are trying to force on me- I said.

- Jasy, my dear, I'm not forcing you, I'm waiting for you.

He kissed my forehead and in that moment I felt like there was nothing I could hold against him. My heart melted with his words and gentleness.

- It's not fair, don't do this to me- I said, standing up and clenching my fists-. I can't hate you if you behave like this.

- So you'd rather have me provoking your hate?- he raised an eyebrow.

- It's just... Don't be so kind to me, I know what you're up to.

- Really? What do you think I'm up to?

He stood up and approached me, interested in my answer. I stepped back.

- You just want to win me over so you can rub it in my face. Well I won't let you win!

- It seems you still need some time to think things through. You will sleep on the sofa again tonight- he said, pushing me towards it.

- And what if I never make a decision?

- Then you will make very good friends with the sofa.

I heard a slight giggle and I looked at the servants fiercely. I did not find it funny, although Derek was enjoying it in a certain way.

- And if my decision is to reject you?

- As if that could stop me. You will be mine eventually, Jasy, and the sooner you accept it the better.

That was the last straw and I was fed up. He was too confident, no matter what I said or did I would never get rid of him. Did I want to? Not really, but I really wanted to male think that and see him devastated with the loss. Only after he gave up hope would I consider giving him a chance. Even I knew I would eventually end up accepting him, but not like he wanted.