3.12. The hooded man

Days passed and there was a clear winner, there was a hooded man that kept winning and I thought it was obvious that I would end up being his. One night, he came to my room. He wasn't supposed to, but he did it anyways. I was scared. I knew it would happen eventually, but I wasn't prepared. But he only came to kiss me.

- Be brave- he whispered.

It was all really familiar, I wished deeply for him to be Derek, coming for me, but he moved very well and Derek was back home, recovering from the injury. My paranoia seemed to get stronger and more realistic. He caressed my cheek after the whisper and left as fast as he came. Even if I was doomed, I still felt a bit better. I started to understand how my roommate felt. Maybe I could hold on a bit longer. Maybe it wasn't the end. Maybe I could survive until Derek came for me... It was bold of me to think he could come to my rescue, but I wasn't able to leave and he was my only hope, the only one who knew the way out, since he had been there before. He did come for me before, I hoped he would again.

The next days were the final rounds. I hoped that the nice hooded man would win, so I cheered for him in my heart and tried to smile at him when he came to get the victory kiss. The last day, I even took the initiative to kiss him before he was close enough. I put my arms around his neck as he carried me in his arms.

- I go- he said-. I win, deal complete.

The hiders let him go, showing him the way to the stored ships. There, the booty was already loaded on the ship and even food supplies. All that was left was for us to leave. I didn't see the crew, maybe they were downstairs, in the orlop or the hold. The hooded man let me stand up and took the hood off. His eyes stopped me from hugging him.

- I would punish you right now if it wasn't because we need to leave as soon as possible.

He called the crew and they surprised me. It was my crew! We hugged.

- You gathered them again? How? And how is it that you are here? I thought you would be so angry at me...

- Would you do me the favor of not speaking to me until we get home, Missie? I don't want to regret what I've done.

I remained silent and turned around to go another way when I heard him fall. I ran to him and helped him get up and go to the cabin. He layed on the bed and the doctor, who was also on board, came to heal him.

- I should scold you, but I understand why you ditched your rest- he said.

- I'm the one who is going to scold someone- Derek said looking at me after the doctor finished healing him.

I just stood there in the corner, next to the door, ready to leave if he wanted me out. There were so many things I wanted to say and ask... I should have known the hooded man was Derek, but I didn't think it was possible. He made a big effort to fight for me in the duels. Everything made sense. That was the reason why it felt good to kiss him, why his whispers calmed me down. It was so familiar, but I thought it was paranoia.

- I'm leaving now. Even though the injury is not as bad as before, I ask you not to make any big efforts. In a few days you will be able to move much more easily and in a week you can get back to your daily activities. Just don't fight any time soon. At least this month, Derek.

- Only if Jasy doesn't get herself into any more trouble- Derek said, looking at me from the corner of the eye.

The doctor looked at me before leaving the room.

- Miss, listen to him from now on, if you really care for him.

I nodded and he closed the door.

- Why are you standing there? I said not to speak, but you can stay next to me if you want to. I want to...

I couldn't help some tears run down my cheeks. I went to him and laid on the bed next to him, hiding my face in his shirt and crying. He caressed my head.

- You must have been scared... But believe me when I say I was more scared than you. I thought I wouldn't make it in time. I thought my injuries would prevent me from winning and someone else would have you... And then you'd end up on a sacrifice altar and all I could do was watch as they incinerat...- he stopped, not being able to continue-. If you are going to go somewhere to get killed, I'd rather kill you myself, do you understand? I'll lock you up next time... Or just tell me you don't want to be with me and I don't have to worry so much about you anymore...

I denied with my head. I didn't want that. I kept my teary face hidden while I tried not to suffocate from the irregular breathing and the tears.

- If you stay with me, you have to listen to me... care about what I tell you not to do, for your own sake, and my own. I guess I'll have to explain better next time, so that you know my reasons.

- But then you have to listen to me too- I said, covering my mouth when I realised I wasn't supposed to speak.

- Seems fair. Now, say nothing else until I think of a punishment worthy of how much trouble you gave me.

I nodded and laid there next to him for a long while. I even fell asleep there. I woke up the next morning with a growling stomach. Derek had covered me with his blanket. It felt nice to be by his side. I pretended to be asleep, but he didn't fall for it.

- My dear sleeping beauty, your stomach is clearly awake- he chuckled.

I looked at him, curious to see his mood and maybe hope that he'd allow me to speak to him.

- I'm not so angry anymore. I thought of your punishment, so you may talk now. But I do like to see you simply look at me and stay by my side, no questions asked...

- But...

- Will you wait until I get better for the questions and explanations? I also have questions and I want you to explain a few things, starting with your last note.

I blushed and got out of the bed.

- I'm going to get breakfast- I excused myself.

- So you agree, we shall talk later about this.

- Yes.

I left the room and covered my face. It was so sudden I didn't see it coming. I had forgotten about the note. Also, I wanted to remember the feeling of sleeping by his side and the words of concern he spoke the day before. I was happy. I was free again. And I could be with Derek and not some hider's child vessel. Everything had turned alright in the end. There still was the explanation and punishment part, but I didn't mind at all. I had the chance of a future with my first love.