3. A journey with no return

I was left without any motivation for sword practice after what happened at Derek's house. My father noticed I was not the same since that little visit to the harbour. However, he asked no question.

My teacher was not pleased at all with my attitude. Not only because he was about to lose his job, but also because I was being irrational and had no real reason that would explain my lack of motivation. I, on the other hand, didn't care. I simply didn't want to see him anymore. But, obviously, I would not give my true reasons.

And so, my beloved teacher, Derek, lost his job. I didn't feel pity for him at first, but then I realised how awful it was for someone to have no means of getting food and other necessary things for the everyday life. The only thing I thought about was that maybe if he was left without money his girlfriend would leave him or at least they would not afford having a wedding celebration or living together. The thought of them living together gave me chills. But I trusted what they said about her only visiting to help with the garden plantation.

But nothing went according to my plans. The fact was that he never came back at that time. He must had found a new job. I became worried about him, and I even thought of calling him back. I was used to seeing him everyday and started to miss his company. It felt really lonely, I had no one else to talk to or spend my time with. Anyway, it wasn't meant to last for long, after all, my father and I had that big voyage ahead of us.

I was also a bit scared, there were many stories about ships that never came back. Derek and the servants told me... about pirates and shipwrecks in deep sea. And what terrified me the most was that two weeks before everyone was talking about them at the port. But it was two weeks, they were surely gone.

The day before the departure, my father suddenly told me he could not accompany me. I told him it was alright, it could wait. Then, he told me the real reason I was travelling.

- Even if I can't go, you must. That was the agreement. I promised your fiancè you would go and meet him. I won't go back on my word.

- But father, am I supposed to go by myself to the other side of the world to meet a man? Alone?

- He's a fine gentleman, don't worry, he will treat you like a lady, because you are becoming one. If everything goes well, you should be there the morning of your birthday and have a great welcome. Enjoy the party. I will prepare another one at home when you return.

I stared at his eyes and sensed a bitter smile. He looked sad to tell me that. I was sure he was bothered by the fact that he couldn't come with me. It was supposed to be a great journey with my father to spend time together in the sea and it turned out to be a 'send-away' one. He also gave me a letter for my future husband. I didn't mind anymore all the engagement stuff, I just wanted some distraction to get my thoughts away from my dear Derek.

"Forgive me, Derek, although I know you don't care anymore".

The following morning I woke up early and took my loggage. Everything was ready, all that was left was getting on board. My father embraced me with a sad look on his face.

- Stay safe, Jasy.

I waved at him as the majestic ship set sail. I was missing home already. I don't know where the idea came from, but I had expected Derek to come in the last minute and see me off. Strange and useless hopes. I got him fired, I couldn't expect him to want to see me, I guess. I felt even more lonely that day than the past two weeks at home. There was no one else there for me.

No one.

All I could do was look forward, hoping nothing bad would happen on the way or after that. But something still made me feel uneasy, so I requested to have a talk with the captain. He gladly accepted to see me.

- How may I be of your service, Miss?

- I'm scared of the journey. I heard about pirates... So I wish for a sword to protect myself in case of need.

- A sword?- he almost laughed- For you? You can handle a sword, right.

- Why yes, what's the matter?

- You are now under my protection, there's no need for a sword, especially for a young lass like you. It wouldn't suit you.

I went to my room a bit annoyed. Why did he talk to me like that? All I asked for was a self-defense weapon, why was that wrong? Well, at least he gave me his word of keeping me safe. That eased my concience a little bit.

Somehow I trusted the captain.

Back then, I never expected any of what happened after that. As I said, I was too naive, but that was about to change. My whole life was about to change and I would not trust anyone ever again like I did before that journey. I was never meant to come back from the very start.

It was a journey with no return ever planned.

You better vote! Thanks for your support. Hope I can share more chapters with you all.

*Bowing like a captain*