10. The bet

When things calmed down a bit, like some days later, I reminded Derek the game we were to start. He gave me a smirk and agreed.

- So, what are we betting?- I asked.

- I think we both have some questions to make to each other...

- Indeed.

- So whoever wins has the right to ask whatever he wants and the one who loses must answer sincerely.

- He?

- I shall win- he said proudly.

- I agree on the terms. Let's begin.

And so the game started. Everyone gathered around us to watch from a closer view. Excitment was in the air and so was the concentration. No one said a word, they just watched quietly as the game went on. Finally, each one of us had one card left.

- Ace. I won.

- Fair enough- I sighed.

- Okay, answer these: Why did you quit the sword practices?

- It wasn't because I didn't like it anymore...

- I know, that's why I'm asking for the true reason.

- Because I was jealous! Alright?- I let it all out, even though I thought I might regret it.

- Really?- he was surprised- Jealous of what?

- You mean who.

Then he understood. He looked for a second at the captain, who was at the helm, taking care of the ship's direction with a compass. I thought maybe he told Derek something and at that moment Derek saw he was right.

- What do you feel about me?

My heart stopped beatting for a second. Was he actually asking that? I had to answer, according to our deal...

The pirates that were gathered around us were watching quite interested. I started to feel shy.

- Why would you want to know that?- I asked him.

- I have the right to since I won and you agreed to answer each and every question I would make.

- I don't want to show you ways of hurting me... Or laugh at me... But a deal is a deal...- I stopped for a moment and then I said in a blow- I kind of really like you.

I covered my mouth with my fist, blushing. I noticed he was blushing too, maybe because of the awkward situation.

- No more questions- he said in a low voice.

- I need proof to know that you don't disconsider me for this.

- Of course I don't. I consider myself a gentleman with the ladies. I would never laugh at my lassie's feelings.

- What? Yours?- we all asked wide open eyes.

- Since you were my pupil... - he tried to justify himself-. What proof do you want?

- A kiss.

Everyone started to wow at us and made coments of all sort, ending up with a colective kind of weird song:

- Derek and Jasy sitting in a tree k-i-s-s-i-n-g. Kiss! Kiss! Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!...

We both turned red. He leaned over the table, held my face and gave me a five seconds kiss in my lips. His lips felt so warm that it reached my heart and spread all over inside me. I got goose bumps in an instant. Instinctively I looked at the helm and saw that the captain had turned his face. Why did I look? And why was everyone else includding Derek looking too? Even if it was for a second and then turned back to watch the next thing that would happen between Derek and me, it still made me wonder if there was something wrong with what we did.