3.5. The "stranger"

The carriage stopped in front of the County's house. I wondered why I was there again and what had just happened. Not to mention, who were all those people? The rider came and got down of the horse to open the carriage door. He offered his hand to help me get out and I elegantly accepted. As soon as I got out, I looked at him better.

- Who are you?

- Why, don't you recognize me, Missie? Well, let's go inside and we'll talk.

We went inside and sat on the comfortable sofa of the living room. I felt slightly uncomfortable because of the short distance between us, but I sighed thinking I should get used to it if we were to marry. 

- Do you wish to discuss the arranged marriage?- I asked.

- I'd rather have you consensually. 

His answer surprised me. I though he was just another rich noble who wanted things to go his way and asked for no one's opinion. 

- I'm not certain we are close enough to get married just yet- I objected politely.

- That won't be a problem, I'll get close to you right now- he said as a joke, although he leaned towards me and almost kissed me if I hadn't tilted my head. 

- I think we should keep talking- I proposed, nervously.

- On the contrary, I think it is time to leave words and take action, I waited for too long for this moment- he held my face and finally kissed me. 

There was something familiar about it, so instead of resisting, I let him kiss me while I was trying to understand that sensation. Why was my heart beating so fast for a stranger, if that was what he was? When he looked at me in the eyes, and letting me breathe again, I suddenly felt the need to get away. Not because I didn't like it, but because I didn't want him to know it. 

- Who are you?- I asked again.

- And here I thought you'd know by now.

He took his desguise off and it became clear. I jumped back and fell from the sofa. I got up as I could and tried to think clearly, but it was difficult. My fears came true, but also my hope that he was alive and that he would come for me. But as it was already happening, I was still not ready to deal with his bold nature, especially when it came to his behaviour towards me. And I had a reputation to maintain, I was supposed to hate him and not let him catch even a glimpse of my feelings. 

- Well, well, well... How is it that you'd rather let yourself in the arms of a stranger than mine? 

Derek raised an eyebrow while looking at me with faked sadness. Nevertheless, it did seem to bother him, but in a way that made me feel he was already planning a little revenge. My heart skipped a beat when I saw a smirk emerge on his lips. His gaze sent chills down my spine.

- I... I... 

- You should be grateful I took you away from that assault. The merchant I sold the ship to was taking revenge on Rony's family to get them back for blowing up his new ship. Luckily I got in time to get you out of there. I could have gone far away where Rony couldn't find me and leave you there to an arranged marriage, but I sold my ship and left my crew, all for you. And this is how you react when you see me?

I started to tremble as he was telling me about what had happened. He had every reason to be upset by my ungrateful reaction, but my pride wouldn't let me be honest with him. All I could do was lower my head and look away, angry at myself. It took me a while until I was capable of sitting down again, at the very edge of the sofa, on the furthest spot possible. 

- What do you have to say for yourself?- he insisted.

I remained silent, trying to stop myself from shaking and get over my pride. The truth was that I wanted to tell him I was happy that he was alive, that I had waited for him... but my lips uttered something different.

- It was kind of you to bring me home- I said in a cold voice. 

- You certainly mean MY home.- Derek showed me a document where the Crown had given him the County. He didn't lose the time, apparently-. There is only one way this could be yours and it is if you become mine. 

- This was mine, I found the treasure...- I muttered.

- The royal seal says otherways. 

- This is not fair! I did this for Edward!- I cried. 

- Well he is not here anymore and you can stay here complaining about a life you will never get back or make a decision on your future. You will literally stay here right where you are and when you make up your mind, you know where to find me. Only then will you have a room. 

- How dare you!- I tried to slap him, but Derek held my wrist and looked at me fiercely.

- If you are insolent, I will send you to the underground dungeon, I'd be careful if I were you. 

He let me go and stood up, waiting a few minutes to see if I had something to say. 

- I am so disappointed in you, you became mean, unfair, disrespectful...- I started to enumerate.

- I am the one disappointed in you, so insolent, arrogant, ungrateful and insensitive!

- You are the insensitive one!

- Think what you may, but you are just making me regret saving you.

He turned around to leave, but I felt the urge to stop him.

- Wait...- I asked, not sure what I would say.

He stood there for a few seconds, but I didn't know what to say, or maybe I just couldn't say what I knew I had to. It was so hard to be honest or even find the words to begin. As I said nothing, he left and with him my self control. I started crying, thinking nobody would notice and I regreted I didn't say what was really important: "Thank you", "I'm happy you are safe", "What did you feel when he died?", "Sorry for missjudging you" and something else... " I still..."

- I still love you. 

I raised my head and saw him right in front of me. 

- What?- I tried to say someting.

- I just wanted you to know I wasn't just playing with you. But you are making me wish I were. 

As I said nothing, he clenched his fists and left. He seemed hurt at my apparent indifference, but I didn't know how to act, I suffered for too long and I lost the ability to open up to someone, especially him, the one I thought I had every reason to hate. However, I loved him instead, and that was what I had hated the most.