7. Truth hurts

I entered the captain's cabin acting graceful and lady-like, that is, raising my chin and walking slowly. I used to practice a lot before balls, parties and other special ocassions like having dinner with other nobles. I was scared of falling, always scared of making one wrong step and ruining everything. It never happened but still...

I aproached the long table and waited for the captain to give me his permission to take a sit. He said no word so I kept standing there and staring at my sweating hands. I was so nervous...

- Dear Missie, why don't you join me for lunch?

- But I just had breakfast... - I replied.

It didn't make sense. But truth is, I didn't even know what time it was.

- Time must have flied for you, it's already lunch time, Miss Jaselly. Have a sit, if you please.

I did as told and replied no word. I didn't wish to argue.

- Do you know why you are here?- he asked.

- Because of your generousity?- I tried answering.

- I don't mean that... Actually, you might wonder why your father didn't accompany you.

- Actually, Sir, I do.

- He never meant to travel with you, it was a trap.

My eyes widened. My own father tricked me!? I just couldn't believe such a thing, it couldn't be true, it couldn't...

- So what was the purpose of all this?- I finally dared to ask.

- It was to get you to your fiancé.

- I know I have to go meet him... But how do you know all that?- I was honestly confused.

- Because your father told me so. I was to make sure that you never came back to your land if not married.

- So I am going to stay in this boat untill I decide to accept the marriage?

- Exactly- he said.